Sending audio signal over IP

I'm sorry if I did'nt put this message in the right group but then again I couldn't really find out where to put it. I've searched the seven seas for a product or solution to the problem / wish I have.

What I want to accomplish is the following: We have a company with two sites, one in The Netherlands and one in Belgium, they are all working with the same time registration system. The clocks / time (on which they 'logon' and 'logoff' are synchronized with the Dutch server. But there's always a small time difference (few minutes) between the Dutch server and the Belgium clock. So people want to have there lunch break at 12 a clock (because the radio says so) find out when they want to 'logoff' that the clock shows 11.56

And now for the VOIP part: I want to send (the same) audio signal: a bell, sirene whatsoever via TCP/IP / our LAN 2 Lan connection to the Belgium Network, have an IP Speaker on the other side wich I can connect to because it has a Unique IP Adress. This box has an audio out so I can connect a regular speaker to it. This is what I had in mind but I didn't succeed in finding such a solution on the net so I thought maybe VOIP can be a part of the solution. I saw the IP box on

formatting link
but I believe that's only for sending video / audo.

Hope you guys can be of any assistance...

Thanks in advance and happy easter!

Michael

Reply to
Mike Dole
Loading thread data ...

Why not just fix the clocks? Sychronizing clocks on the server is free. If you're talking about wall clocks, I've seen radio-synchronized clocks for as little as US$10.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

I can't synchronize the clocks because we are talking about a difference between an announcement / signal on a radio station and the clock of the time registration system. Over here (and I guess it happens all over the world) one station starts the news at for instance 11.57 and the other at 12.05 depending on how long the commercials take. I just want to have the people have their lunch breaks when our time registration server says so by giving a signal.. Thanks for your answer and time anyway Miguel.

Regards,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dole

So why bother using VoIP when well-established standards like NTP (Network Time Protocol) already exist? Use that, based on atom clocks, and not some Rube Goldberg lash-up with audio.

Reply to
wkearney99

THAT is a problem you should be able to fix, possibly by raising the priority of the synchronization updates.

Could you Just hook up a phone with a Real Ringer and call the phone for one, two, or three rings?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The point remains that it's a whole lot easier (and more accurate) to sync clocks than to mess with audio transmission.

Set up one machine in location A, and one machine in location B. Spend 2 minutes configuring each one to sync its clock with an external NTP source. Connect each one to a loudspeaker and program them to make a noise when it's lunch time.

Presto, you have a much more reliable system (since the clocks will still be more or less accurate even if the internet link is down at the moment when lunch begins), and one that's almost infinitely easier to set up.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

forget about voip for this problem. take any computer, sync its time via ntp, attach a decent speaker and let it play an announcement (or make any other noise for that purpose) at a defined time each day.

cheers heimo

Reply to
Heimo Hetl

Thank you all for your replies but I guess I gave the wrong impression that this post was about synchronizing the clocks. Wouldn't have posted it in a VOIP group then. I knew about ntp but we're talking about a Distribution Center in Belgium and I don't a computer every 10 feet... I want IP speaker boxes with there own IP address or something like that so I can send one signal to all the boxes at a certain time...

formatting link
something like that but there has to be more...

Thanks again,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dole

I think everyone understands the problem as you've described it, but we're having a hard time believing that your proposed solution is anywhere near the most efficient.

One computer somewhere in the nation of Belgium, and then wire that into a PA system. The computer can be doing other things (print server, desktop, whatever) at the same time.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

m snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike Dole) wrote in news:fddbbab7.0503252211.6845e75 @posting.google.com:

Install a computer at each site and synchronize the time to the same NTP server. Then hook up the audio out of the PC to your PA (intercom system). Voila, both systems will now set off an alarm more or less simultaneously!

There's no need for your fancy audio over IP system.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

So true, but if a man has a shiny new hammer all problems will look like nails!-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Here is a box that's specifically designed to send audio via IP:

formatting link
pair of these boxes can be used to extend a 600 Ohm paging port, but it does not have to be paging equipment, a soundcard output will do just fine. Check it out, see if it would work for you.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.