NuFone broken.. pulls plug on customers

In what could be the first protracted problem I've heard of or experienced with NuFone, DID service has been unavailable since at the very least, yesterday morning. NuFone staff have denied the problem exists, claiming it must be on the customer's end. However, there are tens of customer I've run across in #nufone and #asterisk on irc.freenode.net that are experiencing the same problem.

Basically, you cannot dial the toll-free numbers created with your NuFone account from a POTS line. This problem seriously effects subscribers' who are using NuFone for business or personal use, because they cannot receive the majority of their calls.

Most of NuFone's business is outgoing call centers, who use the VoIP service because of cheap long distance and no local line costs. These customers are presumably unaffected. This potentially puts a strain on smaller businesses, because while their subscriptions are probably appreciated, they are hardly necessary for NuFone's continued financial success.

UPDATE: NuFone's staff now claim "Global Crossing is having network issues and they are not being forthcoming with the exact nature of the problem. This is affecting all of our Toll-Free numbers and a good portion of their own customers as well. They have not provided even an estimate on when services will be restored. Level 3 is also having problems (as of 16:40 EST). No news on that as of yet either."

It was also claimed that this was posted on IRC and sent via e-mail to customers yesterday. I did not receive any e-mail and neither have any of the customers I talked to. The message that was allegedly sent I never saw, and I've been monitoring the channel for 24 hours or so.

I've gone ahead and signed up for service with another provider at this point and am porting my 800 numbers away from NuFone. Like most subscribers, I depend on this service to be reliable and stable. With recent outages on a frequency of once every 30-60 days and this outage lasting longer than 24 hours, I really have no choice.

NuFone is a Michigan-based provider of discount VoIP termination services that was founded in 2002.

Reply to
envescent
Loading thread data ...

I was attacked by NuFone when I tried to establish service. I stay far away from them. What they offer can't be worth dealing with people like that.

At first I had problems finding another provider with a deal as good as theirs. Then I found LiveVoIP and got a *much* better deal (as far as the rates)...but, as I suspected, they weren't so stable. When LiveVoIP went under I looked around again and found Telesthetic. *Much* better.

There are vastly more professional providers. It just takes some effort to find them. Good luck with your switch. This is a good lesson to others on the value of toll-free number portability.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.