my attempt at VoIPoCDMA2000

I would love to have some (wide area) mobile VoIP phones. I've been searching for a solution for awhile and finally decided to just see how bad it would be to use a current mobile phone network to achieve this functionality.

I've been a SprintPCS user for years so after getting reports of sub-400ms ping times, I decided to give their data card a try. The nearest stores (in Indy) only had the Novatel Wireless Merlin C201 so that's what I got.

As has been reported, after initializing this card (under MS Windows) it is readily usable by Linux. Once up (as a PPP device), it yielded ping times mostly in the 300 to

400ms range. It seemed fairly robust. I didn't get the many-second-long silences that I expect from GPRS. --- yahoo.com ping statistics --- 50 packets transmitted, 50 received, 0% packet loss, time 49431ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 307.951/453.274/1437.838/214.054 ms, pipe 2

I discovered that port 80 is run through a transparent HTTP proxy. (Some of my photos were recompressed.) Most communications seemed unfettered though. Unfortunately, when I tried using a SIP phone over this connection it failed to even register. I suspect timing was the issue but I don't have an eye for spotting SIP problems. (The packets seemed to be passing o.k.)

Recently I found iaxComm, an IAX softphone. I decided to give it a whirl and it registered without any problems. Making calls seemed o.k. and the audio was decent. When I tried to send audio, however, it fell apart. It

*really* chokes on ulaw (of course) but even GSM is unusable. 50 packets transmitted, 50 received, 0% packet loss, time 49007ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 366.003/1182.807/2815.567/536.911 ms, pipe 3

I like having this card but the latency is too high for me to justify keeping it at $80/month. I'm hoping for UMTS to arrive someday soon...

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for letting us know about your experiment.

I tethered my Sanyo 6400 to my XP Pro laptop and tested Skype.

It sounded fine, but had occasional packet delay. (The audio fidelity of Skype is awesome!)

Reply to
carcarx

Yeah, I've heard iLBC is worth using but I haven't gotten it configured in Asterisk and iaxComm yet. Think that'll make a significant difference?

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

I believe that SprintPCS PTT(Push To Talk) feature is VoIP on CDMA2000. It uses the same concept of VoIP in the wireless mobile phone. It should work. UMTS will not be better that CDMA2000 EVDO.

Reply to
yum

Latency is hardly an issue for PTT.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.