leaving mic plugged into computer

Is there any problem with leaving the mic part of the headset plugged in all the time?

Reply to
Tim923
Loading thread data ...

If you're the type of person that installs spyware, viruses, or other junk on a regular basis then you need to be aware that someone could be listening in -- But chances are none of us here (myself included) have anything interesting enough to be worth spying on.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

You'd think, but the way people seem to install spyware these days, I just assume people have spyware installed.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Why would there be..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Shouldn't you be more concerned with checking that you *haven't* got any spyware..??!!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

You won't find any here :-)

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I was having some hard drive type noise coming out of my speaker that seemed to happen after I used my headset, making me wonder if the headset had anything to do with it. That's why I asked. It may be the cheap built-in sound card.

Reply to
Tim923

You and me both. I've run without virus scanners for several years now, although I do occasionally scan my system with a couple AV solutions plus a couple spyware scanners, and aside from cookies (since when are cookies spyware?) I haven't had a legitimate hit in years.

Interestingly enough an app a friend and I developed back in the late

90s is now on NAV's virus list. It was just a simple (one click) install a FTP server and some remote control software, plus a home grown precursor-to-dynamic-DNS client to make remote troubleshooting easier.
Reply to
DevilsPGD
[snip]

Cookies can report back what you've been doing, where you've been on the web etc. so I don't like them for that reason. Not spyware in the strict sense of the word but I still delete them on a daily basis. It keeps getting me popups asking if I want to accept cookies every time I go on eBay or wherever, but at least I know what's going on.

I have trouble occasionally with an old DOS application I sometimes use. It's a remote control program that lets you take over the screen and keyboard of another computer under the IPX protocol, which I use to monitor a standalone DOS PC that's on my system. Norton Antivirus flags it as a trojan, which of course it is, but it was designed to be..! I keep adding it to the known applications list but it keeps deleting itself somehow ;-)

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.