Connecting VoIP to Home Phone Wiring

I too, had trepidations about trying it.

I first called my local non-emergency Police number. They told me that in this area, all the 911 calls were handled by Metro-Dade County and I shouldn't be afraid to call.

I did so and the nice person who answered read back all my details and thanked me for calling to check....YMMV

Location is in Aventura Fl...a city within greater Miami-Dade county.

Reply to
burris
Loading thread data ...

Rick,

You read my mind because that was going to be my next question. I've been rummaging around to find my two line splitter to give it a try. The second line has never been active, but I am not sure how to check to see if they share a ground. Assuming the wiring is kosher, I guess I just plug my 2-line splitter into a jack, and plug the TA into the second line outlet. Is the worst case I fry my TA if the wiring isn't right?

Brian

Reply to
BrianEWilliams

Here is what Vonage says about their 911 service:

formatting link

Vonage routes your call to the Public Service Answering Point (PSAP), which provides emergency services in your area. The appropriate PSAP is determined by the physical address you supplied when you configured 911 on your web account. Therefore, if we do not have the correct address, your call cannot be routed to the corresponding PSAP for your area. Another difference between Vonage 911 Dialing service and traditional

911 service is that the Vonage call will be routed to the PSAP's general access line, which is different from the 911 Emergency Response Center. You will need to state the nature of your emergency promptly and clearly, including your location and telephone number, as PSAP personnel will not have this information at hand. PSAP personnel can help you effectively and will take necessary steps to provide you with the appropriate assistance, such as dispatching police, an ambulance and/or a fire truck.

Behind the scenes, the call will go to your local Public Service Answering Point immediately, if you have provided your address by configuring 911 on your web account. If you have not configured 911 on your web account, you won't be able to dial 911 at all.

*Note - Customers in Rhode Island who activate dialing 911 will receive an emergency calling service similar to E-911, which utilizes the E-911 call routing system and automatically displays your address and the number you're calling from on the dispatchers terminal. This E-911 solution is only available to customers in Rhode Island who have activated dialing 911. Vonage is working aggressively to provide this solution in additional states before the end of 2005.
Reply to
BrianEWilliams

My guess here is that Vonage is required -by state law- to provide "E" 911 service in Rhode Island, otherwise you can bet your last dollar they wouldn't be doing it, because it's quite expensive to provide it.

I d>Here is what Vonage says about their 911 service:

Reply to
Mitel Lurker <wdg

Measure resistance on all combinations of wires and use separate phones... Worse case is you fry everything and the dog goes on the carpet!-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Once they have mastered the technology, WHY is it "quite expensive" please?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Oh please, get a grip. Any decent VoIP provider offers 911 service. But honestly, what on earth did people DO before 911 with location info? Oh, I know, they TOLD the people where they are! Imagine that! Sure, a 4 year old calling in because Mommy took too many little helpers might be a problem. Or a geezer dropping over from a heart attack but only able to just... barely... call.. 911 might qualify. But please, life's full of edge cases and yet reality soldiers on regardless.

If you're the panicking fool sort then by all means keep your land line. Otherwise, make the switch and enjoy it's benefits.

Reply to
wkearney99

Not so expensive on an individual subscriber basis, but taken as a whole it adds up quickly. There is a per-line charge plus a charge for database updates, which you must provide on a timely basis when any of your subscribers move, or new subscribers sign up or existing subs leave.

There is also the administrative nightmare of keeping your own database accurate so that when you send updates to Intrado your customer has some reasonable expectation of accuracy.

That 40¢ or so "911 service charge" that your traditional landline telco tacks onto your monthly bill doesn't begin to cover their total expenses. That's just the portion they're allowed to pass on.

Common myth is that all it takes to be in the telephone business is a switch. The rude awakening comes later.

Remember not so terribly long ago when you occasionally heard about large apartment complexes installing their own PBXs and getting into the phone business? Not many of them still around, is there? It was a flash in the pan. 911 legislation woke these guys up and the smart ones bailed.

Reply to
Mitel Lurker <wdg

I too have SunRocket. My system works well on all fronts, having been checked. In addition, the technology is still advancing, so I can only imagine it will get better as time passes.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

these move fasts..

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

formatting link
e=STRK:MESE:IT

formatting link
e=STRK:MESE:IT

Reply to
Marc Popek

formatting link
ws%20media.wmv

Reply to
Marc Popek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.