Re: VoIP Phone Home?

Just use a pstn to VOIP auto switch easier and you get surge protection FREE.

Marc

Interesting point of view. > Marco

formatting link

> >>> Mostly the cost difference and the convenience. >>> Marc >>>> Why not just get a two-line RJ-14 type telephone? >>>> Fred >> Well, you can go to Radio Shack and get a very nice two line GE phone >> with caller ID, speakerphone, and a bunch of other features for about >> fifty dollars. I just got one because I'm going to have two different >> VOIP services at my new place in NC for a while. When I have the >> bucks, I'm going to get another one, too. >> I used to be leary of phones being sold by Radio Shack. But what I've >> seen there lately has been an improvement. It used to be off brands. >> But now there's not so many different model phones but a few good ones >> insteads. >> Fred > Voice Over Internet Both Simple, Complex > By FRANK BAJAK, AP Technology Editor > We have more ways than ever of communicating, but trying to keep up > with family and friends can be exasperating. Our overlapping free time > seems to shrink. We constantly play phone and voice mail tag. And > e-mail, in its tone-deaf impersonality, barely helps. > One of the most unorthodox and intriguing among 32 new products > launched onstage at this week's DEMOfall conference, a showcase of > tech innovation, was a Web-based tool with a mission: to encourage > emotional connection via audio messages. > Not two-way conversations, mind you. Just me telling you my > news. Click, talk and send. > The product is called YackPack because the user creates groups, or > packs, of people who can be audio-messaged individually or > collectively. Each member of your pack gets an icon with his or her > picture on it. An e-mail notification tells you when a Yack has > arrived. > "It turns out that asynchronous audio is the secret sauce for what > keeps relationships alive and fresh," said B.J. Fogg, the company > founder and chief executive. Much of YackPack's recipe came from the > year Fogg spent with a focus group of women over age 50. > Unlike Fogg, the typical tech startup CEO will bend your ear with > metrics on market potential while spouting technobabble that would > befuddle all but us geeks. > Such people abounded at DEMOfall, where other promising products > pitched to an elite crowd of investors and press also sought to better > manage relationships: by turning a cell phone into a conference-call > manager, helping eBay users place bids wirelessly, protecting the > privacy of online consumers. > Fogg, on the other hand, was more apt to be accused of > psycho-babble. He is, after all, a Stanford psychologist in addition > to being a computer scientist. > "We're helping people connect emotionally, and that leads to > happiness," he said. > Santa Rosa, Calif.-based YackPack goes live in mid-October and will be > free while in beta, then cost well under $10 per month, with a free > ad-based version, Fogg says. > There's no software to download, and Fogg says YackPack even works > with dial-up connections. All you need is to get a microphone working > with your computer. > "Three-year-olds can do it. Grandmas can do it. People who can't read > and write can do it," said Fogg. > He sees the product as benefiting circles well beyond families -- > cancer support groups, for example. > DEMO's semiannual shows have been springboards for such industry > standouts as TiVo, the Palm Pilot and the Danger HipTop. After six > years under the DEMOmobile moniker, this year's fall show got a name > change in recognition of our ability to finally go online wirelessly > with increasing ease. > DEMO show producer Chris Shipley says the legions of ultra-productive > but also constantly reachable and thus often harried "always-on > people" are driving today's tech market. Shipley calls it the dawning > era of "ultrapersonal computing." > Software and services thus dominated DEMOfall, with a number of > products appearing poised to humble industry giants, especially in > telecommunications. > One was Mobile Call Manager from Menlo Park, Calif.-based TalkPlus > Inc., which uses Internet phone technology over the traditional > cellular network. It makes cheap calls available on cell phones while > adding such features as the ability to have multiple phone numbers > ring on a single handset and on-the-fly conference calling with up to > 10 participants. > That's something no wireless carrier now offers. > CEO Jeff Black claims he'll be able to offer low, low rates -- 2 cents > a minute for calls within the United States and Canada -- and he's > lining up multiple carriers internationally for a Jan. 1 launch. He > wouldn't name the partners. > Jingle Networks Inc. of San Francisco sees directory assistance as > another huge market -- worth an estimated $8 billion a year in the > United States -- that's ripe for the plucking. > To bypass the traditional carriers, Jingle connects callers for free > to the business, government office or residence of their choice. The > trade-off for using 1-800-FREE-411: Callers must first listen to a > 12-second recorded pitch. > Jingle's success will depend on its ability to sign up local > merchants. When I called the service to get my home phone number, the > pitch I heard, after following the voice prompts, was for Jingle > itself. > The cell phone is also the key for Camden, N.J.-based Smarter Agent > Inc. Its first service, expected next year, will deliver real estate > listings to mobile handsets based on a user's location. > If you like a neighborhood but are nowhere near a computer, you'll be > able to use a map on your cell phone screen to see what nearby houses > are on the market, the asking price and other details. You'll even be > able to search to see recent selling prices for comparable homes in > the neighborhood. Smarter Agent, a registered Realtor, draws on the > Multiple Listing Service used by agents across the nation on their Web > sites. > Safeguarding privacy online has become an ever more serious concern > with identity theft a mounting problem. That was reason enough for a > company called UniPrivacy Inc. to build a business on protecting > consumers proactively. > The company's newly launched DeleteNow product will, for $2.99 per > month, remove information about you from more than 100 online sources > -- search engines and databases including Google Inc. -- and check > those sites daily to make sure the information stays off. > However, plenty of sites that might contain personal information about > you, such as Claria Corp., aren't cooperating, says chief executive > Chaz Berman. The more customers UniPrivacy acquires, the more clout > it will have, and Berman says it plans to eventually "out" those sites > that refuse to cooperate. > After all, "When you join we become your legal agent." > Touche! > Frank Bajak can be reached at techeditor(at)ap.org > On the Net: >
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
> Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. > NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the > daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at >
formatting link
. Hundreds of new > articles daily.
Reply to
Marc Popek
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.