[BudgeTone 101] Stops ringing?

Hello

When that IP phone is located on the same network as the Axon PBX server (a free Windows program), it works just fine, but when it's located on a remote network on the Net, it will often stop ringing. In the setup I need to use, the BT is connected to one of those modem + hub ADSL modems. Typically, it will resume ringing after I reboot the phone.

FWIW, there's no firewall involved on the phone side (ie. the BT is located on a hub that is in the public part of the network; the PBX, OTOH, is located in a private network protected by a NAT firewall), and I upgraded the BT to 1.0.8.32, but that didn't solve the issue. It seems to occur after I made some calls to another SIP device (X-Lite softphone).

Has anyone seen this?

Thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte
Loading thread data ...

You might try playing with registration expiry setting(s).

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

I was thinking of something like that, and I'll see if that solves the issue, but it can happen just seconds after I received a call successfully. I wonder if it's not something in the modem.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

OK, I tried this, it does improve things, but after a few calls, the BT no longers answers incoming calls, and the caller gets a "Call failed: Temporarily unavailable". The problem is... temporarily solved by waiting a bit or using the BT to call someone.

I changed Register Expiration from 3600 to 20, then tried changing keep-alive interval from 20 to 5 (but when relogging to the web interface, this value is put back to 20: Is 5 too low and not allowed?) Has anyone seen this? Looks like the modem/hub would close all ports for a while (UDP 5060 in this case).

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

When this happens, does the server show a connection to the device any longer? I know how to check this under Asterisk but haven't a clue in Axon...?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

I'll see if I can gather data from the Axon PBX and the X-Lite softphone that I use to call the BT phone, but regarless, when setting up a call, is the PBX involved at all?

I though it would just hand out the IP and port of the remote device, and then get out of the loop, ie. the softphone will dial the IP + port of the BT phone directly.

I ordered an el cheapo USB IP phone. If I can solve the BT issue, I'll see if a USB phone works better.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Good question. To be honest, under Axon, I don't have a clue. I was assuming the devices were registering with the server. Regardless of the transport between the two endpoints, I would think you would still see a connection. When have this problem, I am wondering if it is completely losing its registration. I'm tired, so this may not make perfect sense...

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

I'll keep reading on VoIP but I was under the impression that VoIP devices only query the PBX to get the remote VoIP device's IP and port, and from there on, the two devices talk to each other... but I may be wrong.

Anyhow... turns out that the four Ethernet ports that make up the switch part on that modem can only be used reliably once the thingie has been reconfigured to work as a router. The fact that the BT phone would ring every so often was just luck, apparently.

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Wow, strange :>

You're most welcome!

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.