Audio Loss (dropout) occurring with Vonage-using RoadRunner, Linksys, PAP2, etc.. Appreciate ideas? cannot hear me

Dear all,

I ran the VOIP Speed test, spoke with Vonage a few times-they adjusted buffer and packet size. Long story short PAP2 router using RoadRunner, Linksys router WRT54GS version 4 with latest firmware.

PAP2 connected to Port 1 of WRT54GS Linksys wireless Router. PAP2 is in DMZ zone of router per Vonage instructions. When there is audio loss it is on the other persons end-they cannot hear me at all for 5-15 seconds. Happens about 3 times a day.

Router is locked down by Mac addresses. Get audio dropouts (on other end of phone) even if no one is using a PC in my home. Wireless is ONLY used for TIVO connection (Tivo connects so infrequently), roommates laptop which is only used 1 hour a day when she turns it on, and I do have a Range Extender. So a wireless signal is being put out of course but not sure if this is really taking away from Vonage bandwidth since it is not like someone is always using the signal.

I have the bandwidth saver set to lowest setting on Vonage Config website.

I only have one PC hooked up and left on (directly connected) to Linksys Router. It sits idle unless I am using it.

Router is locked by MAC address for access.

Last night I tried the following but do not have results yet to see if it may have helped:

-Shut off the SP1 Intrusion Detection on the router-read it might help on a Vonage posting here.

-Made Port 1 for PAP2 have the highest priority on Linksys router. Also made PAP2 MAC address have the highest priority.

So that is about all. Overall I think it is a latency issue with my ISP of which there is little I can do.

I even tried Roadrunner's "gamers" version (for $20 more a month) to provide greater upload and download speeds for a month. Still did not solve audio dropouts.

Tried the Hawking band of the attached link with no luck. Not sure if this DLINK model would help or not-I assume not.

formatting link

Tests:

formatting link
374kbs Download: 492Mbps

Here is the

formatting link
VOIP test T-O- Boston and back to Charlotte (with preserve speech quality option)

Score 4.4 Signaling Quality Post-Dial Delay 63 ms Call Setup Time 63 ms Media Delay 172 ms

MOS Analysis From You TO Boston

Media Quality MOS 4.3 / 5.0 (Best with G.711 is 4.4)

Degradation Sources Codec 0.58 82.6% Latency 0.00 0.0% Packet Discards 0.12 17.4% Packet Loss 0.00 0.0%

Codec G.711 (PCM at 64kbps, 20ms RTP payload, 80kbps IP BW)

Round-Trip Latency 108 ms Packet Discards 0.5% Packet Loss 0.0%

Loss Periods Min: 20 ms Avg: 20 ms Max: 20 ms Random Loss Thanks so much Patty

Reply to
Patty
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.