Re: Will 911 Difficulties Derail VoIP?

To recap a speculative post I made some time back, seems to me that at

> least in those (quite widespread) situations where copper (or cable, > or fiber) connections to business and residential premises already > exist, or will continue to be created: > a) VOIP telephone service totally without 911 could be the norm. > b) All of the existing "hardwired connections" could continue to exist > (including copper pairs included in or installed with fiber or TV > cables), but would extend only to the telco (or cable, or fiber) > "central office" and not be expected to provide any telco service > beyond that point. > c) These would however provide the hard-wired connections not just for > "911" services (activated perhaps by "pushbuttons" or the equivalent > in the hardwired premises), but also for many other kinds of related > security services (fire alarms, home security systems, home control > systems, alarm bracelets for the elderly, "iPots", etc), provided by > vendors who would take over the wiring infrastructure, and very > possibly some or all of the CO facilities, from the telco. Utility > meter reading via these hardwired connections would be another > potential user -- not to mention DSL for those cases where cable, > fiber or wireless didn't provide the broadband services to a given > premises. > I appreciate there are many sunk costs, vested interests, and so on in > this whole infrastructure, so it may not be obvious how to get from > here to there; but if the vast majority of telephone traffic ended up > on VOIP, wouldn't this make some sense, and in fact, maybe be the way > in which you'd set up new green-field developments?

I'm a little perplexed by your speculation. Why would a move to VoIP have anything to do with killing off use of cable/fiber/copper for telco services? Are you predicting a move to a completely wireless service provision or am I just misunderstanding your comments? And if indeed you are predicting a move to an entirely wireless world, why are you portraying VoIP as the cause for this? Can you elaborate?

Dean

Reply to
Dean M.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.