[telecom] FCC to Caller ID spoofers: STOP IT

FCC press release [excerpts]:

Consumers Gain New Protections Against Fraudulent Caller ID "Spoofing"

Violators Face Substantial Fines

Washington, D.C. - Consumers have gained new protections against fraudulent and deceptive use of caller ID services under new rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission today.

Increasingly, bad actors are altering or manipulating caller ID information - known as caller ID spoofing - to further a wide variety of malicious schemes, from identity theft to placing false emergency calls to SWAT teams. Using spoofing services accessible through the web or prepaid cards, anyone can inexpensively mask the origin of a call with fake caller identification information.

Under the FCC's new rules:

Violators are subject to up to $10,000 for each violation, or three times that amount for each day of continuing violation, to a maximum of $1 million for any continuing violation

The FCC may assess fines against entities it does not traditionally regulate without first issuing a citation

The FCC can impose penalties more readily than it can under other provisions of the Communications Act

Under the Act, callers are still permitted to alter caller ID information if their purposes are not harmful or fraudulent. For example, domestic violence shelters may have important reasons for not revealing the actual number of the shelter, and doctors responding to after-hours messages from patients may choose to transmit their office numbers rather than their cell phone numbers. ----------- rest of press release [a]:

formatting link
------------------

actual "REPORT AND ORDER":

formatting link
[a] FCC material is often available in "Word Doc" form, a well as PDF and pseudo-ascii text. The URLs are identical except for the trailing extension. ----------------

and for good measure, here's EPIC's take on it:

formatting link
may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

I don't see how technically a doctor could do that.

Reply to
Sam Spade

... if they're caught. And, in addition to any technical or political

(e.g. they're calling from outside the U.S.) hurdles that may make

catching them difficult, for years the content of this very forum had

led me to believe that there is little or no budget and less motivation

for agencies to put in the work required to track down the culprits.

Maybe the fine will encourage some agency to invest the time, but

somehow I don't see this having any more effect than, say, the CAN-SPAM

act had on all the junk mail we receive...

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

With a smartphone, use a VOIP application that allows customization of outbound caller ID. For example, I have Skype on my iPhone, and I have it set up to send my Google Voice number as the caller ID.

Most systems that allow this do require some kind of verification that the supplied number is "controlled" by the caller. I think when I set up Skype, it gave me a verification code online and then called the number and asked me to enter the code. So it doesn't allow random spoofing, but the scenario of transmitting an office number instead of the cellphone number is possible with VOIP.

Reply to
Matt Simpson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.