keeping track of pbx extensions

Hi...

I maintain 4 switches (shared tenant) in 4 buildings, and have about 1600 did numbers to keep track of. Companies are always coming and going.

Can anyone suggest a simple database (other than fumbling around with Access) that will let me keep track of things/sort on a per extension (4 digit), per company, per building basis, date history of when installed, disconnected, notes as to the line equipment, house pair, etc. Windows based, of course.

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Loading thread data ...

Well - since you're so dead set against Access you're going to have to use open source.

The database should be built in MySQL (Runs on Windwos, Linux, etc.)

If you want to make it truly accesible and portable you'll need to learn PHP and then build an apache web server being certain to compile it with PHP support.

But then you could do an Access db. The beauty of Access is that the data doesn't necessarily have to live in Access. You can link tables from things like MySQL using their ODBC connector. The other beautiful thing about Access is there are several ways to do things. One can be table/query/macro based, the other can use table/query/VBA (My prefered method)

If you need help with any of the above contact me.

Reply to
T

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

It does? First I've ever heard of it but then I've always used Office at some point or another.

Access is also very simple if you first plan out your data.

For what he actually seems to want, Excel would be more than capable but using a relational database would enable him to expand in the future.

As I said, I'll help any way I can.

Reply to
T

With the amount of DID's, he would be better off with access than excel. While there are some things that require a good amount of knowledge in access, by planning it first, taking his time and a little reading first, he should be able to do this in access by using the wizards.

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.