POS integration

I have a customer with a Gilbarco pos system and he wants to tie in the pos data to the video picture. I have the equipment but i have not done this with the gilbarco system before.

Anyone out there have any experience with the gilbarco products? They have not been very helpful so far.

the main thing i want to know is what format they feed out the data port?

Reply to
Tommy
Loading thread data ...

American Video Equipment (one of our vendors) makes POS interfaces for Gilbarco cash registers. There are different interface requirements for the different Gilbarco models and the connectors on them. Here are the ones we carry. Since you're in the alarm trade you can order direct from AVE.

- Gilbarco Passport: VSI-Pro (02-314) & Triport DB15 (08-013) or DB9 (08-014)

- Gilbarco PCG SITE (RJ-45): VSI-Pro (02-077) & Triport PC-G (08-001)

- Gilbarco TCG-G2 (DB37): VSI-Pro (23-003) & Triport 08-091

- Gilbarco TCR-15 G-Site (DB-25): VSI-Pro (02-075) & Triport (08-026) & Cable (06-023)

Here's info on AVE (my website):

formatting link
Here's AVE's page for selecting what you need:
formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Are you looking for a simple POS overlay into the video or making the metadata available as part of the searchable video? There are guys that have the POS schema integrated into their machine already and some just have an SDK they throw at you. The one I'd bet that would have all that built in would be Electronic Lines. Example below. The ETV Enterprise Systems are specifically designed with the retail environment in mind to provide complete solutions for POS (Point of Sale) and Retail Loss Prevention. The ETV POS software allows you to set a variety of parameters for a Manual Search Query. For instance, you can monitor the sale of Lottery tickets with any assigned search criteria including, Item code, value, quantity, cashier, register number, and receipt number to quickly retrieve data and related video. Enter your search criteria into the Predefined Custom Search section to save and repeat the same search without having to re-enter the information.

Reply to
Roland More

"Roland More" wrote in news:46b098d9$0$30657$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I have a system with a geovision data capture built in for this job but i am unsure of the data coming from the gilbarco. I know what i have on my end. I am wondeing what to look for coming from the gilbarco.

Reply to
Tommy

Reply to
Just Looking

I know on the Vigil systems, you simply enable the data-capture function, and tell it what sort of POS system you're using. Gilbarco is one of the options; as I recall, there are no different models listed for it, so they apparently use the same format for all their POS systems. Basically, whatever you're feeding the data to simply needs to know the Gilbarco format, and be configured for that option. The data itself SHOULD just be plain ASCII text, at least it has been on the Gilbarco systems I've dealt with - it can be viewed in HyperTerm on the receiving machine.

Connection-wise, it typically is just an RS-232 cable (wired as "null-modem") between a serial port on the POS computer, and one on the DVR (at least for PC-based DVRs). The POS will probably have to be configured specifically to output its data on the desired port (I've seen some with RS-232 expansion boards with eight ports, in addition to the one or two on the computer itself, for interfacing various things).

Reply to
Matt Ion

As far as my experience with Gilbarco POS systems, the serial port appears to just output straight 7-bit ASCII text, one line per item. With the proper null-modem connection to a receiving PC, you should be able to view the data in Windows' HyperTerminal.

If you're using one of those simple video-overlay boxes that simply imprints the text onto the video itself, the box may need to be configured specific to the Gilbarco (vs. other POS brands), but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Best place to find that information is probably in the interface box's own documentation - do you know the make and model of it, and have you tried contacting its manufacturer?

The other thing you'll probably need to do, of course, is specify which serial port to output the data on, in the POS's setup. Gilbarco may be able to help you with that, but with so many different types of devices people are interfacing to capture that data, it's not surprising that they're not as helpful on setting that up... heck, you can probably find plans to build such a box on an electronics-project site.

Reply to
Matt Ion

S>> "Roland More" wrote in

Reply to
Roland More

Dunno, never done much of a comparison.

formatting link
if you wanna check out the manufacturer's website. They're based out here, in Victoria, BC.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Reply to
Just Looking

Guess it depends on what features you're looking for... they have some interesting stuff going on. They typically start in the $3k-$4k range, I think, for a basic 16 channel/60ips/300GB "mini-cube" system.

They have a few neat things, such as dedicated "HD Viewer" systems for displaying IP cameras on multiple VGA displays.

Reply to
Matt Ion

interesting stuff going on. They typically start in the

16 Channels at 60 total FPS would be pretty useless.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Considering most sites I see default to 320x240 at 1FPS per channel... I don't think anyone's noticing. It's still a damn sight better than

24-hour time-lapse VHS.
Reply to
Matt Ion

That's ridiculous. They may as well put in a still camera for all the good 1 FPS will do them.

Until there's an event. When they try to see what happened and all they get is three blurry frames of "someone" moving across the field of view, they'll start looking for a new source of CCTV equipment. Many of them look online, so thanks.

A horse and buggy is also better than a dog pulling a little red wagon.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Funny, it's been sufficient for a number of incidents at fuel stations, professional buildings, liquor stores... cops just yesterday nabbed a snatch-and-run beer thief in a beer-and-wine store we service in fact, based on a printout of the store's ID cam.

Seeing as the big fuel companies don't spec anything beyond that, I don't think they have an issue with it; if they did, they'd say so on their spec sheets. For those that want more, we can always bump them up to 704x480 and higher FPS. You can't go much more than that with ANY analog-capture systems. More than that, we give them 1.3MP or higher IP cams.

AHHAHAHAHAHA and you figure they'll come to you? AHAHAHAHAH great, you just keep waiting for that.

Reply to
Matt Ion

professional buildings, liquor stores... cops just

service in fact, based on a printout of the store's ID

Really? City and case number, please.

A certain percentage do. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You're hilarious :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

I notice you didn't respond to the above.

Gee, thanks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Not much use sending ...... anything .... to a dead man.

Reply to
Jim

I don't see that that's really any of your business.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.