Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Touch Tone Trademark Status [telecom]
Lisa Hancock asked in a reply: According to the US Patent and Trademark Office website search, it was officially cancelled due to "total surrender" by the (legacy) holder of the trademark (AT&T), on...

Cable phone service disrupted from power outage [telecom]
Our area lost power from Hurricane Irene. Those of us with traditional landline Verizon phones (and plain wired phones, not cordless) never lost service. However, our neighbors with cable phone...

Telecom challenge: Hurricane Irene [telecom]
Hurricane Irene is expected to hit the eastern US this weekend with very heavy rains and high winds. Considerable flooding is expected. Also expected are many power failures. This is because the...

How Carriers Hamstring Your Smart Phone
How Carriers Hamstring Your Smart Phone "Middlebox" study reveals slow downloads, battery drains, and security flaws. By Christopher Mims Technology Review August 25, 2011 A team at the University of...

Social Media and riots [telecom]
"LONDON - More than two weeks after the end of riots in London and other English cities, Britain's government and police met social-media executives Thursday to discuss how to prevent their services...

[telecom] Should I be suspicious?
The phone rang a while ago, and a female voice said you have a message from [mumble] at 479-599-9999. And then a different voice said press 1 to hear the message. I have the plainest of POTS, no call...

New BART policy on cellphone shutdowns [telecom]
SF Gate reported, "BART directors, slammed with criticism over the transit system's decision to shut down underground wireless service to stop a demonstration, agreed Wednesday (8/24/11) they should...

Sprint to Get iPhone 5 [telecom]
Sprint to Get iPhone 5 By JOANN S. LUBLIN And SPENCER E. ANTE The Wall Street Journal August 24, 2011 Sprint Nextel Corp. will begin selling the new version of the Apple iPhone in mid-October, people...

AT&T streamlining individual messaging plans August 21.. [telecom]
AT&T streamlining individual messaging plans August 21st, leaving unlimited as the sole survivor By Brad Molen Aug 17, 2011 Do not adjust your computer screen, because the screenshot you're seeing...

Why Shutting Down Cell Service Is Not Just Against The Law, It's a Really Bad Idea
Why Shutting Down Cell Service Is Not Just Against The Law, It's a Really Bad Idea By Harold Feld August 23, 2011 I suppose I am really a telecom lawyer at heart. My reaction to the news that the Bay...

Why Software Is Eating The World
Why Software Is Eating The World By MARC ANDREESSEN AUGUST 20, 2011 This week, Hewlett-Packard (where I am on the board) announced that it is exploring jettisoning its struggling PC business in favor...

I'm taking a vacation
To the readers: I'm taking a couple of weeks off from the Digest. Robert Bonomi will moderate while I'm gone: please be nice to him. Bill Horne

Email spam getting to me [Telecom]
I know that John Levine reads this group and is also involved with the whole spam issue. Maybe he, and others, can provide some therapeutic responses for the following ramblings on solutions for email...

NE US Earthquake--cell phones stop, landlines ok [telecom]
After the 8/22 earthquake felt all over the northeast US, cell phones were not working in our area, apparently due to the flood of calls of people checking with their friends. However, landlines...

Why Amazon Can't Make A Kindle In the USA
Why Amazon Can't Make A Kindle In the USA Steve Denning Forbes 8/17/2011 An economist is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Old joke based on Oscar Wilde's quip about...