Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] How SSDs conquered mobile devices and modern OSes
How SSDs conquered mobile devices and modern OSes With flash ascendant, OS vendors have disabled defragging and supported TRIM. by Lee Hutchinson Ars Technica June 25 2012 In part one of our "SSD...

[telecom] T-Mobile likely to end attempt to block Verizon spectrum purchase
T-Mobile likely to end attempt to block Verizon spectrum purchase Spectrum and cash swap allay T-Mobile's antitrust concerns. by Jon Brodkin Ars Technica June 25 2012 When Verizon Wireless struck a...

School District incorporating cell phones into lesson plans [telecom]
"As schools fight the rising tide of student cell phone use, the Hopewell Valley [NJ] Regional School District has embraced the trend. The district is piloting a program dubbed "Bring Your Own Device"...

[telecom] Reliance on smartphones is leaving hikers in a bind
A call to be better prepared Reliance on smartphones is leaving hikers in a bind By Billy Baker Globe Staff / June 25, 2012 It was getting dark. They were lost atop Mount Lafayette in the White...

Bankrupt LightSquared's Drama Drags On -- And Markets Move On [telecom]
The specter of spectrum. Last time we checked in with LightSquared, its sad saga suggested why crony capitalism might be here to stay. Philip Falcone, I remarked, sounded like some of the less...

[telecom] It's as Easy as 123!@S
It's as Easy as 123!@S By JACOB BERNSTEIN June 22, 2012 WITH numbers. Without. One capital letter. None. More than eight characters. Fewer than 16. "It's a nightmare," the comedian Tracey Ullman said....

[telecom] U.S. Military Hunts for Safe Smartphones for Soldiers
U.S. Military Hunts for Safe Smartphones for Soldiers By SOMINI SENGUPTA JUNE 22, 2012 The military has long needed computers that are tough enough on the outside to withstand the rough and tumble of...

[telecom] To Settle Lawsuit, Facebook Alters Policy for Its Like Button
To Settle Lawsuit, Facebook Alters Policy for Its Like Button By SOMINI SENGUPTA June 21, 2012 SAN FRANCISCO - Complicating its efforts to accelerate advertising revenue, Facebook has agreed to make...

[telecom] Some hotels with free Wi-Fi consider charging for it
Some hotels with free Wi-Fi consider charging for it By Barbara DeLollis USA TODAY Some of the USA's biggest hotel chains that offer free Wi-Fi are considering adding charges after seeing insatiable...

Re: phone service in Canada [telecom]
Recently on CDT/Telecom Digest it was written: Well, if she's going to be in Canada she really needs to get service in Canada with a Canadian mobile provider. I say this rather than providing a...

[telecom] NPR Intern Gets an Earful After Blogging About 11,000 Songs, Almost None Paid For
NPR Intern Gets an Earful After Blogging About 11,000 Songs, Almost None Paid For By BEN SISARIO JUNE 19, 2012 When it comes to digital music, can the audience be shamed into doing the right thing?...

AT&T Tech Channel--Cyber Security News, history [telecom]
The AT&T website has many videos available. They have a weekly series, "AT&T ThreatTraq", formerly known as the "Cyber Threat Report". This week's report discuss the week's top cyber security news,...

[telecom] Mobile Advertising: The $20B Opportunity Mirage
Mobile Advertising: The $20B Opportunity Mirage June 10, 2012 Edited by Jean-Louis Gassée There are a lot of questions left to be answered about Facebook's IPO fiasco, but one thing we know is this:...

[telecom] Apps I Want to Go Away
Apps I Want to Go Away By SAM GROBART JUNE 14, 2012 In my most recent Tool Kit column, I explained how to better organize the apps on your smartphone. But in the article, I wrote half a sentence...

[telecom] Google, Apple Tighten Grip on Smartphone Market
Google, Apple Tighten Grip on Smartphone Market By JESSICA E. VASCELLARO And AMIR EFRATI June 18, 2012 Apple Inc. and Google Inc. have brought mobile giants Nokia Corp. and Research In Motion Ltd. to...