Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

AnandTech founder retiring from tech publishing [telecom]
The Road Ahead by Anand Lal Shimpi August 30, 2014 AnandTech Both of my parents were teachers, and for as long as I can remember they both encouraged me to do something in life that would help others....

R.I.P. Patrick Townson, September 24, 1942 - August 9, 2014
I just returned from a brief vacation, and read an email from Mike Sandman that told me Patrick Townson has been gathered up. There is an obituary online, but it's not very informative, and I've...

Local Choice fight ramps up as CBS refuses to run ATVA ads [telecom]
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable, August 28, 2014 CBS Radio will not run the American Television Alliance's new spot plugging the Senate Commerce Committee's "Local Choice" proposal. The refusal to air...

California Governor Signs Law Requiring a 'Kill Switch' on Smartphones
California Governor Signs Law Requiring a 'Kill Switch' on Smartphones The law requires smartphones sold in California to include antitheft technology, a feature that lawmakers hope will lead to a...

ATVA Launches Six-Figure 'Local Choice' Ad Campaign [telecom]
Drumming Up Viewer Support For Deconstructing Retransmission Consent By John Eggerton, MultiChannel News, 8/27/2014 Saying it was "just two words away from the biggest celebration ever," the American...

AT&T merges wireless and business units led by de la Vega [telecom]
AT&T merges wireless and business units led by de la Vega REUTERS AT&T is merging its wireless and business divisions into a single unit led by Ralph de la Vega, former chief executive of the...

Verizon complains that FBI order is invalid, but delivers data anyway [telecom]
Champion Of The People: Verizon Complains Exigent Circumstances Order Inadequate For Info Requested; Hands Over Info Anyway by Tim Cushing from the rolling-over-to-push-back dept Given how often major...

Verizon flirts with QR codes for user id's [telecom]
ZDnet by Larry Dignan Can the QR code replace user names and passwords? Verizon Enterprise thinks so - at least for some companies looking at two-factor authentication. Verizon Enterprise on Tuesday...

Verizon's VoLTE rollout will kill off CDMA - and allow unlocked LTE phones, too [telecom]
By Neal Gompa On Tuesday, Verizon announced that it will launch HD Voice over LTE in the coming weeks. With this launch, Verizon is taking the first step toward shedding CDMA2000 as its primary...

Netflix to FCC: We only have trouble with big, consolidated ISPs in the U.S. [telecom]
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable, August 27, 2014 Saving its harshest critique, after months of sturm und drang, for its final, "official" rebuke of the proposed Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger,...

Verizon Closes another Loophole used to keep Unlimited Data [telecom]
by Alexander Maxham It was reported earlier this month that Verizon was getting ready to close yet another loophole that let those grandfathered into unlimited data, keep their plan. Basically how it...

Daily Digest Web Page [telecom] [laf]
I've been working to improve the "look & feel" of the online version of the daily digest. I think I'm about done, but I'd like to get opinions from the readers about how the current version looks. If...

Sprint, With Marcelo Claure at Helm, Aims for Comeback With Price Cuts
sprint, with Marcelo Claure at helm, aims for comeback with price cuts. Sprint's new chief executive just started work last Monday and the company got straight to cutting prices. ***** Moderator's...

Two Countries, Two Vastly Different Phone Bills
Two Countries, Two Vastly Different Phone Bills If your monthly cellphone bill seems high, it may be because American cellphone service is among the most costly in the world. A comparison of two phone...

Red Hook's Cutting-Edge Wireless Network
In an isolated Brooklyn area that was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy, a nonprofit group is working on a digital network that residents can use whether or not Internet service is available. *****...