Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Android Phones Hit by 'Ransomware' ?
Android Phones Hit by 'Ransomware'? Hackers have figured out how to lock people out of their Android devices and demand money in exchange for letting them back in. ***** Moderator's Note ***** The...

Your cellphone is killing you: What people don't want you to know about electromagnetic fields
Your cellphone is killing you: What people don't want you to know about electromagnetic fields MARTIN BLANK | April 12, 2014 -or- The industry doesn't want to admit it, but the science is becoming...

State orders Verizon to pay Glen Cove NY higher franchise fee [telecom]
By TED PHILLIPS The state Public Service Commission has approved a cable franchise agreement allowing Verizon to provide service in Glen Cove as long as it pays the city more money than originally...

Appeals court shoots down Aereo's latest attempt for retrans license [telecom]
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable, August 22, 2014 Aereo's legal losing streak continues, with a federal appeals court refusing to hear the streaming service's "emergency" argument that it should now be...

Verizon Wireless service restored in Fort Payne area [telecom]
FORT PAYNE, Ala. (WHNT) . A Verizon Wireless spokesperson confirms to WHNT News 19 that service was fully restored in the Fort Payne area early Friday morning, after a significant outage. The service...

T-Mobile offering Sprint, AT&T and Verizon castaways one year of free unlimited LTE data [telecom]
After an unsuccessful union with Sprint, T-Mobile is going after its former suitor's customers, as well as its other competitors' sub- cribers in the wireless world. Today, the magenta-colored carrier...

Re: VZ reward for copper thefts
But does he take cables like VZ is complaining about being stolen? Yes, small wires are legitimately recycled all the time, and even a small amount of large wires, perhaps -- but if VZ really wanted...

FCC issues $100,000 NAL [telecom]
I just got an email that alerted me to this news: the Federal Communications Commission has issued an Notice of Apparent Liability for forfeiture (NAL) to an Oklahoma LEC, charging negligence in...

This has got to stop [telecom]
I'm like many Americans: I like to watch films or tv shows on NetFlix. Comcast and NetFlix recently signed an agreement which ended Comcast's throttling of NetFlix content. Not surprisingly, NetFlix...

What to take into consideration when your phone contract ends [telecom]
Should you spring for the unlimited data plan? Would it be better to switch carriers? AP tech writer Anick Jesdanun breaks down what it is like when your cell phone contract expires. THE ASSOCIATED...

Verizon offers 50,000 reward in copper thefts [telecom]
Verizon offers $50,000 reward in copper thefts New Castle News Friday, August 15, 2014 6:11 am A phone utility is offering a reward for copper cable thefts in [the town of] Wampum. Verizon said it is...

How Verizon lets its copper network decay to force phone customers onto fiber [telecom]
How Verizon lets its copper network decay to force phone customers onto fiber Fiber is fast, but copper is reliable - even during multi-week power outages. Ars Technica by Jon Brodkin Aug 14 2014,...

As Data Overflows Online, Researchers Grapple With Ethics
As Data Overflows Online, Researchers Grapple With Ethics Scientists can now analyze the personal data on millions of people without their knowledge, and some want to bring ethical guidelines to such...

Why I'm willing to pay an early terminiation fee to leave Verizon [telecom]
MICROSOFT EXPLORER by Andy Patrizio Opinion Why I'm willing to pay an early termination fee to leave Verizon. These days, most people use smartphones for everything but making phone calls. I never got...

Goldman, Verizon Demand Virtual Networking From Cisco [telecom]
This story caught my eye: major U.S. corporations are demanding that Cisco take over the heavily-unionized switching business, thus allowing the ILEC's to do without their troblesome labor unions....