Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: 2002220000 Given as Caller ID
I recently had occasion to call Pakistan using a "dial-around" carrier in the US. The call appeared on the Pakistani's cell phone as a local call in Islamabad, meaning it was handled as a VOIP call....

Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise
Just as soon as a "long distance" call provides no incremental charge to my telephone bill. If you can suggest a deal (available in Minneapolis MN) for less than US$15/mo that includes both unlimited...

Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill
Her problem is that she didn't show up to contest the charges so the credit card company got a "default judgement." These can be vacated in court because you can appeal. But generally you can't appeal...

Shut The Cell Up New York Post Online Edition: news
SHUT THE CELL UP By ANGELA MONTEFINISE February 20, 2005 -- Can you hear me now? Unsuspecting cellphone users may find themselves saying that more often now that cellphone jammers illegal gizmos that...

Re: 2002220000 Given as Caller ID
FYI: There is a VOIP service allowing individuals to make free voice over ip calls worldwide. That id showed up on my cell phone too. Ask your friends if they are calling you using an internet phone!...

Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa
By ALAN FEUER and JASON GEORGE There was a time when embarrassing talents were a purely private matter. If you could sing "The Star Spangled Banner" in the voice of Daffy Duck, no one but your friends...

Re: A Silly Question - 2-Line Phone With One Phone Number?
Boat posted on that vast internet thingie: No, call waiting does not mean more than one line. If you are not paying the telco for two lines, then you don't have two lines. Sorry if I was not clear...

Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise
I don't think the parallels are very close. The impact of telco changes are almost purely economic, the cost of carrying a call keeps going down, but the impact of cheap computer memory has been...

How to Use Voicepulse VOIP With VPN?
Hello, I currently run Windows XP Home and connect to the internet via a VPN. I can browse web sites fine, however I am not quite sure how to run Voicepulse VOIP thru the VPN. When the VPN is active...

New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge
In this newsgroup the issues of monopoly are often discussed. I just heard on the radio that Federated Dept Stores and the May Co will merge, creating a huge department store chain. Previously Sears...

Re: Are ISPs Blocking VoIP Calls?
They went through widely publicised legal battles with Minnesota and other states to avoid regulation. How could you have missed them? They've also managed, so far at least, to avoid contributing to...

Other Firmware For Linksys wrt54g? Satori
I have put in a few wireless routers but never got into the internals. I now have one in my home and will be adding a Range Extender. I possess a WRT54G, running Windows 2000 and uploaded the latest...

Do Additional Users of Wireless Router Signal Affect Signal?
Perhaps a dumb question, but a neighbor asked me if they had more than one person using the Internet via Wireless (in a home) would it affect the singal strength? I assume it would not affect the...

Re: Toll-Free Number Pointed to Sprint PCS Handset
Not at all. I have an MCI toll free number that points to my Sprint PCS phone, and have had no problems with it. All that's needed is to give your PCS number to MCI as the "ring to" number, and you're...

Motorola A780 Operating System Hangs
Hi, In January, I bought a Motorola A780 in Taiwan and took it back to Europe. It is a nice phone with lots of software features and apparently Linux based operating system. Unfortunately, the...