Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Alleged Mobster, Brother Guilty in Phone Scam
Two brothers, one a reputed member of a New York crime family, have pleaded guilty to conspiring to bilk the government out of nearly $9 million by inflating expenses at a small Missouri telephone...

Talon News Web Site Closes Amid Heavy Criticism
HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas-based Web site whose conservative connections touched off a White House media controversy has shut down "to reevaluate operations," according to a message posted on the...

Tired of TiVo? Beyond Blogs? Podcasts Are Here
By KATE ZERNIKE GRAND FORKS, N.D., Feb. 16 - From a chenille-slipcovered sofa in the basement of their friend Dave's mom's house at the edge of a snow-covered field, Brad and Other Brad, sock-footed...

Re: Advice on One Call in SS7 Versus Two Calls in VoIP
"in SS7/ISUP" you'd still end up creating a third leg, tying up twice as many trunks: so the telco would still charge you for the extra call, because they'd get double the cost for the single shot of...

Re: Are ISPs Blocking VoIP Calls?
Please explain what they did to obtain non-regulated status. Their infrastructure is most certainly regulated as they use Paetec and Focal switches. What isn't' regulated is the last mile connections...

Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill
That's for a card issued to YOU that's stolen, not for your identity stolen and card issued to someone else. Perhaps there were reasons beyond what's been released. -- Gary Breuckman

Re: Toll-Free Number Pointed to Sprint PCS Handset
There is at least one cell carrier (US Cellular?) that's been advertising free incoming calls. I'm not sure why you want your toll-free number to come to a cell phone, but this might be a reason to...

Ring Tone Surprise
I had a visitor the other day and while we were talking, I hear the unmistakeable sound of a 500/2500 phone's metal gongs. Turned out that was his cell phone's ring tone. How unique! A cell phone ring...

Telecom Update (Canada) #470, February 25, 2005
TELECOM UPDATE ************************************************************ published weekly by Angus TeleManagement Group 470: February 25, 2005 Publication of Telecom Update is made possible by...

More Plea Deals in Bklyn Mafia/Telco Case
A reputed Gambino wiseguy and his brother yesterday fessed up to bilking taxpayers out of $9 million by inflating expenses at a small Missouri telephone company in order to qualify for government...

Qwest Submits Revised Bid for MCI
Telecom dailyLead from USTA February 25, 2005 'S HEADLINES NEWS OF THE DAY * Qwest submits revised bid for MCI BUSINESS & INDUSTRY WATCH * Gap between cable, DSL narrows * Adelphia creditors make...

A Question About Cordless Phone Quality
I've got a question about cordless phones. Recently I bought a cheap Panasonic 900 MHz cordless phone. It is ok but has very low range and the sound quality has some hiss which is not terrible but is...

Re: Is Your Identity Safe?
Whether you protest or not is irrelevent. It's either provide the information or not get served. Thanks to concentration of businesses and services, it's harder and harder to go somewhere else. Yes,...

Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill
Yes, I thought your liability from a 'stolen' card (which this is) was $50.00?

AOL: You've got VoIP
Jim Hu, CNET America Online is expected to launch an Internet phone service in the United States next month, leapfrogging rivals in a fast-growing market as it seeks to evolve from an also-ran...