Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Feds: Criminals Luuuuv Those Open 802.11 Networks
Are you using 802.11b or g? g, with WPA, is far better than WEP, due to the way WPA handles encryption keys. - Apple Valley, CA - - 888.480.4NET (4638) Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / / PGP:...

Let's Focus on the Theft, Not the Identity
By Hiawatha Bray | March 21, 2005 Identity theft is a nasty crime with a catchy name -- too catchy for our own good. Identity theft, though important, isn't the root problem, and focusing on it may...

Is it Net Assistance ... or Cyberstalking?
By Associated Press | March 21, 2005 A Cambridge start-up is offering a service it says gives a measure of control over the personal data the Internet disgorges, giving new meaning to a practice...

Re: What Happened To Channel 1
As you linked to a picture of typical British VHF and UHF tuners, allow me to add a few more comments from this side of the pond. In early times, many British sets had no outside channel selection,...

Website Rouses Informants' Fear, Investigators' Ire
By Kathleen Burge, Globe Staff | March 21, 2005 When a team of police, federal agents, and a drug-sniffing dog burst through the front door and scoured every corner of the house, the woman and her...

Even better, it was used by the police. I remember around 1969 listening to a car chase through the territory of various police forces in northern England, where I then lived -- picking up...

Re: Hackers Target U.S. Power Grid
Because it is more efficient to control a grid froma central location, rather than sending men out to substations to throw breakers. Information sharing can be gathered for non-control systems from...

New Long Range Cordless Phones?
I saw a link earlier for this on Slash Dot. Its a cordless phone that supposedly works 100km from the base station (under ideal conditions). then the obvious potential for grief from the FCC, anyone...

Vonage Says its Calls are Still Being Blocked
Ben Charny, CNET Published on ZDNet News: March 21, 2005, 11:24 AM PT Two broadband providers are causing problems for Vonage's Internet phone traffic, a spokeswoman said Monday, suggesting that a...

Who's the Owner of the Dim-and-Burst Signaling?
Hello, I'm a graduate student in Korea. Now I'm wondering who's the owner of the dim-and-burst signaling method in IS-95? Qualcomm or Motorola or else? Or could you give me a good hint for finding the...

What Happened to FM Channels 1-199?
[Please remove my email address from both this message and the Table of Contents. Thanks.] Garrett Wollman wrote: Now that we've covered the history of VHF Channel 1, can anyone explain why the...

Source: FCC to Dress 'Naked' DSL
Ben Charny Staff Writer, CNET U.S. regulators are expected to up-end state public utility rules that force BellSouth to let customers buy its high-speed Internet service without having to also sign up...

Re: Cell Phone ATT
No, it's quite solid actually, as long as Cingular has honored the terms of the contract and have not made any changes that you never agreed to. If they have, then you have a case. But if only the...

Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?
But what happens if you're in a county of 880,000 where there are a lot more 911 calls per day and they don't know everyone? I don't know about the rest of the country, but in our region telephone...

The allocations here were also all shifted upward by 1kHz following a WARC conference in 1978, so 899, 908, 917kHz became 900, 909, 918 etc. Yes, FM broadcasts in Europe use both even and odd slots,...