Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Level 3 CEO Comments on Withdrawal of VoIP Forbearance Petition
Crowe Comments on Withdrawal of Level 3 VoIP Forbearance Petition Colo., March 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The following statement can be attributed to James Q. Crowe, chief executive officer of...

Forbes Article on VoIP vs. Incumbent Telcos
Threatening Calls Scott Woolley, 03.28.05 Never friendly, the battle between the Internet calling companies and the incumbent telcos has gotten downright ugly. Vonage, the biggest Internet phone...

Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?
Or, in a case like we have out here ... There are 300,000 people in the Victor Valley region of San Bernardino County, California, spread out over a significantly large chunk of desert. There are no...

Intertel Eclipse Telephone Programming
Anybody with technical knowledge of the InterTel Eclipse telephone system? Here's what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to set up a shared mailbox. In other words, I've added a new extension, 262, and I...

Re: Tracking Down a Harassing Caller Number?
Call your telephone company business office. You didn't describe the call content -- if there is no one there, it may be from a fax machine. Your business might help with that. There is a call trace...

Re: What Happened To Channel 1
Any chance of a copy of that? It would be interesting to see. You can find many examples of old (and not-so-old) test patterns and idents for British TV here: I never saw it, but my father built a set...

Re: Cell Phone ATT
As all the others mentioned, you are still liable to fulfill the contract. My question is: why do you want to switch? Were you dissatisfied with AT&T service before the merger? Has the merger caused...

Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?
I don't understand the context of your statement. You mean they say in NYC they don't answer 911 calls after 10PM? I don't know the story, but I suspect perhaps the call was routed to a business...

Re: What Happened To Channel 1
His recitation of history is factual. He is *NOT* accurate with regard to 'cause and effect' of 'detent' tuners leading to "channel number" common-usage. Detent tuners were at least 'second...

Level 3 Withdraws Request for VoIP Fee Ruling
Declan McCullagh Staff Writer, CNET One of the most important Internet telephony rulings of the year was expected from federal regulators Tuesday, but now it won't happen. In a surprise move, an...

Re: Walkie Talkie
The IF doesn't have anything to do with the channel spacing at all; many older handheld transceivers have IFs of 455KHz, and that has no impact on the channel spacing. In simplified terms, minimum...

Re: What Happened to FM Channels 1-199?
I believe it was simply to avoid confusion with the TV channels 2-83. -GAWollman

Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System
CONCORD, N.H. --The E-ZPass system that will soon make it easier to pay tolls in New Hampshire will make it easier to track people's movements, privacy advocates warn. State officials say strict...

iPod-Like Cellphone Music Still Evolving
Carriers' profits said to be a crucial issue By Peter J. Howe, Globe Staff | March 21, 2005 With more than 8 million sold last year and a popular buzz to die for, Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod has proven...

Re: Feds: Criminals Luuuuv Those Open 802.11 Networks
Are you using 802.11b or g? g, with WPA, is far better than WEP, due to the way WPA handles encryption keys. - Apple Valley, CA - - 888.480.4NET (4638) Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / / PGP:...