DNS under another login?

Ok, I pay for a connection to wifi in a group using the same ISP.

I have the router PW and can access most of the settings.

What I have not been able to do is change the DNS Server. It appears to be under another login than the one for the router. Not sure why this is because I have access to all the other settings.

How do I change the DNS server to something that does not go through the ISP? I am occasionally getting blocked by network messages, not sure why. Will try to attach jpg screenshot.

Ok getting error message on attachment. Try looking here: (crap nntp server)

formatting link

Reply to
CALAMITYJANE
Loading thread data ...

Notice the light gray color of all the IP settings including DNS. That

*MIGHT* mean that it's locked by a password, but more likely means that the IP address, gateway, DNS, and netmask are set by the PPPoE server. If those were set by the downstream DNS server, you *MIGHT* be able to change them. However, I vaguely recall that with PPPoE, you're stuck with whatever the PPPoE server provides. I don't have any PPPoE (DSL) customers left, so I can't check if I'm right.

Why is this an issue? All you need to do is set your client computer's DNS settings to whatever you want and you're done.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thx your reply, sorry late getting back.

Why do they have a separate id and login after you've already logged into the router?

Can you kindly explain what PPPoE is and how this applies to the question?

To answer your question, I am occasionally getting "your internet connection is blocked, check your firewall settings" and it acts like it IS blocked locally but I never put in any rules to block it in the windows or other firewall. This is an inconsistent message and only appears on some browsers for some webpages and disappears when I use a VPN to surf. That is why I suspect it's a DNS issue. I've tried changing the DNS on the client browsers with no effect, but using a vpn eliminates the error.

Reply to
CALAMITYJANE

Logging into the router is quite different from logging into the network. The router login give you access to the router. The ISP PPPoE network login gives uses of the router access to the ISP's network.

Nope. I don't know anything about the topology (which boxes go where) of your network or your ISP's. Normally, PPPoE gives either the router or the users computer access to the ISP's network. Think of it a login/password that demonstrates to the ISP's router that the user (or the users modem/router) has the proper credentials to connect to the ISP's router. PPPoE is most commonly built into the modem, but can also be installed on the router, server, or client computer.

This article explains how it all should work, but might not be the same as whatever your ISP is doing. "Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)"

formatting link

That sounds like the symptoms of incompatible MTU somewhere along the path between the computer and some remote web server. This is rather old, but does explain the problem:

formatting link
The problem is common when the packets go through IP tunnels (IPv4 ->

IPv6 and VPN).

Packet sizes issues can get complicated: "Path MTU discovery in practice"

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ok thanks, took me a while but found out the MTU rate was too high on this wifi connection so I lowered it. See if this helps or not. The old router we had before same company you could change the DNS server at the router. Not really sure it made a difference, but you seem to indicate I can do the same thing on the client windows OS. But most browsers only give you a choice of 1-2 dns servers to use or I have not found a way to add my own custom FASTER DNS. I tried but I guess I don't have the right syntax commands or maybe it's a alt.config setting. Could not find how to do it. I do know that the DNS lookups are often exceeding ly slow on my machine. SUPPOSEDLY you can make your own DNS file under hosts, but I could never get windows 7 (last OS I tried) to use the host file for lookups.

Reply to
CALAMITYJANE

Perhaps benchmarking your DNS lookups might be useful. I use this tool (mostly because I'm too lazy to find something better):

formatting link

It works for me on Windoze 10. The hosts file should be here: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts The etc directory is hidden.

If you're using Firefox browser:

formatting link
"Firefox now uses DNS over HTTPS (or DOH) by default. That means instead of checking your local hosts file or even your DNS resolver. Firefox simply makes the DNS request over HTTPS from within the browser."

Note that editing the hosts file will NOT change the name(s) of the DNS server(s) used by your machine. It will only change the name to IP address mapping. The actual names of the DNS servers are buried in the registry or set by DHCP. If you want to use a different specific DNS server, then either use the user friendly network config: Settings -> Network & Internet -> Change Adapter Settings. Then right-click on a connection and select: Properties -> IPv4 -> Properties: Select use the following DNS server address, fill in the blanks and remember save before exiting (my favorite screwup).

Or, you can do it from the command line using netsh: netsh interface ip show config Find the network interface name. Ethernet 0 is a common name: interface ip set dns "Ethernet0" static 8.8.8.8 Replace the 8.8.8.8 above with your desired DNS server. For the secondary DNS server, it's the same with index=2 appended: interface ip set dns "Ethernet0" static 8.8.4.4 index=2

There's no way I'm going to even try to explain how to do this by editing the registry directly. I've screwed up too many machines (including my own). You have been warned.

Don't forget to flush the DNS cache before testing or you will likely get lookups from previous config changes: ipconfig /flushdns

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I found it: RegBak 1.5

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.