VoIP and wireless networking [Telecom]

I am considering running my VoIP system on the far side of a wireless link. i.e. My internet service comes thru a cable interface into which I plug a router with wireless capability. I plan to use a remote wireless bridge into which I will plug my TPAs/ATAs.

Does anyone know if I should anticipate any issues with this arrangement?

Thanks

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

VoIP is very sensitive to latency, and adding Wireless links just makes this sort of thing worse.

You may also need to ensure that all your network equipment has QoS capability to ensure that your voice packets get priority otherwise that could be another quality issue when you are on calls.

Reply to
David Clayton

Use the strongest encryption your hardware will support. WEP is useless, WPA good, WPA2 better.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg
1506 schrieb:

Probably not. I've been using such a setup since I started using VoIP some four years ago and have never had any issues with the WLAN link. Unless you have an extremely fancy ISP service and very old WLAN equipment or use the WLAN extensively for internal high-bandwith data transfers, the ISP link will be the limiting factor and the WLAN link will have more than enough capacity to not cause any problems. If I look at my current setup, the WLAN link adds

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

I use Skype via a wireless [802.]11g link to my router, and while the video

*sometimes* pixellates, depending on the quality of the line, the speech quality is fine - better with a headset than with the built-in mike and speakers, but still quite OK, negligible latency, unless it's an international call. It's no different with an [802.]11n link.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.