Touch Tone Grocery Shopping - Promise Never Realized?

In looking through 1960-era articles and advertisements about future telephone service (including Touch Tone service), a continuing theme was telephone grocery shopping. The newspaper's ad every day would contain code numbers next to each advertised product. A housewife would use this to call in an order.

I realize some supermarkets have Internet orders, but I don't think telephone pick up ever became widespread as originally forseen. (I wonder if it ever was used for grocery shopping).

I suspect some retailing issues had an impact:

1) At one time grocery stores delivered, no more.

2) Grocery stores evolved into self-service supermarkets with lower prices and less support. A busy supermarket did not have the resources to have people pull orders.

3) Desire to select their own products, such as meat, fruits, and vegatables.

Some things we do use today like telephone banking of course came to pass. Unfortunately, today you are forced to use the automatic system and can't talk to a person when you need one without a long wait and aggravation.

Early Bell Touch Tone installations included Carnegie and Greensburg in Western Pa (NYT 11/14/63), Chardon Ohio (Stromberg Carlson NYT

12/19/62), Findlay Ohio November, 1960. Canton Ohio would be ready in 1963.

All Bell machine exchanges required a front end tone converter. Different types were built for different switch types (panel, No 1 Crossbar, No 5 crossbar). For Step by Step, a variety of converters were required depending on traffic volume and remaining life of an exchange.

While Touch Tone availability slowly grew throughout the U.S., I think between 1975-1980 the remaining parts of the country rapidly got it; I believe it was virtually available everywhere by 1980. However, consumers were slower to convert and a great many remained rotary into the 1990s.

[public replies please] [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Internet grocery shopping and delivery was a very good feature and when I lived around Chicago area (both in Skokie and on the north side of Chicago, it was offered by a company called 'Pea Pod', and although we had to pay a relatively small fee for the service, Pea Pod generally made its money from Jewel Food Stores, with whom they had a relationship. The service was rather good and very prompt. Here in Independence, we do not have 'internet grocery shopping' at the present time, but one of the grocery stores (Safeway) had planned on starting it a few years ago, but then Walmart showed up and chased not only Safeway, but the three other major grocery stores out of town. And Walmart, of course, has no provision for doing anything different than cash and carry, in huge quantities. A chain of stores called 'Marvins IGA' moved in where the old Country Mart had been located, but they are just barely hanging on, financially, and do not feel they could afford the cost of working along with the internet people. PAT]
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.