Re: Touch Tone Blocking

I need to devise a way to keep users from playing touch tones over the

> paging system. If you can suggest a way to prevent users from > sounding touch tones over the paging amplifier circuit post it here or > E-mail direct. Be advised that my ISP's anti Spam software will > generate a service message to which you will have to respond in order > for me to receive your e-mail. > Tom H > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: At least on the older Bell > switchboards, there was a certain contact on the network (inside the > switchboard) to mute your earpiece from the audio on touch tones while > still playing them out over the phone. It was generally only done for > switchboard operators to prevent them having to listen to the tones > all the time as they placed calls. PAT]

Pat,

I think he's asking how to keep people from _deliberately_ playing touch-tones over the paging system when they dial the PA access code from their phone. In other words, they've probably got some pranksters in the fire station who like to pretend they're the organist for Deep Purple, using the PA as their amplifier and the Touch Tone keypad as ntheir organ.

A ham radio operator would be the best guy to ask, since hams have been using Touch Tone on FM repeaters for a while now. The only question would be if Tom H is trying to hang up on any PA access call that has Touch Tone in it, or if he wants to just mute the tone and keep the call active.

William

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Maybe you are right. I used to see (or actually hear) this happen a lot in Chicago at the Transit Atrocity stations. The overhead loud speaker would come on, which was _supposed_ to be for an announcement from either one of the control tower operators, or some other employee. When the loud speaker came on, all you would hear was 'dee, dee, dee, doop' and then a hang up. Obviously someone had pressed the wrong key on his multiline phone or had started dialing without looking to see which line key was pressed down. PAT]
Reply to
William Warren
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.