Re: Touch Tone Grocery Shopping - Promise Never Realized?

>> >>> To be clear. I wasn't referring to being asked to deliver groceries in

>>> Nigeria. But an internet enabled store has to deal with fraud, data >>> theft, etc ... which can come from the other side of the planet. Where >>> the old local grocery really was a local operation. Fraud occurred with >>> people in the store or at a delivery location. There was no website to >>> break into and take over. >> But none of that really applies to an internet based order that >> ultimately ends with the customer going face to face with an employee. >> Grocery delivery is basically immune from internet drive fraud, no? > No. > There are some kinds of fraud that rely on the Internet for execution. > Grocery delivery -- or other local delivery services -- _is_ mostly > immune from these kinds of 'remote-control' frauds. > There are other kinds of fraud that can be carried out via many means, > one of which happens to be the internet. The use of the Internet is > 'incidental' to the fraud. Grocery-delivery, or other local services, > *are* vulnerable to these kinds of frauds 'over the internet', just as > they are vulnerable to them when executed using other means.

Sure, but that's my point -- If a grocery store is offering delivery anyway (most around here do, although it's a pick-stuff-yourself and we'll charge way more then cab fare to deliver it to your house variety ...)

Example: > How do you insure that the delivery address is the party that really > ordered the groceries? > You get there and find out 'nobody ordered anything'. > You're out the 'costs' of the delivery trip.

Sure, but that's a possibility for any delivery-based service, not an inherent internet risk.

Example: > How do you insure that the check you're given is not drawn on a > 'closed' account? (they're moving out tomorrow, three states away, > and this delivery is food for the trip.)

How does the supermarket ensure against this at the store? Again, no worse at the customer's location.

Example: > There are thugs waiting for the driver to show up so they can rob > the driver. And/or hijack the grocery load for 'discount' resale to > innocents.

While possible, it's just as simple to walk into a grocery store, put the stuff in the cart and walk out the door. All of the stores around here have their employees trained to back down at the first sign of physical threat ...

Sure, a bunch of employees might decide to be heros, but the same could happen to grocery delivery drivers.

And again, not an internet threat, as much as a delivery threat in general.

I guess we'll be going down together, I mean getting off together, I mean ... That's Ok, I'll just press the button for the stimulator. Elevator! -- Homer Simpson

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.