[telecom] The Hybrid Tablet Temptation

The Hybrid Tablet Temptation

Jan 5, 2014

Monday Note

In no small part, the iPad's success comes from its uncompromising Do Less To Do More philosophy. Now a reasonably mature product, can the iPad expand its uses without falling into the hybrid PC/tablet trap?

When the iPad came out, almost four years ago, it was immediately misunderstood by industry insiders - and joyously embraced by normal humans. Just Google "iPad naysayer" for a few nuggets of iPad negativism. Even Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt, couldn't avoid the derivative trap: He saw the new object as a mere evolution of an existing one and shrugged off the iPad as a bigger phone. Schmidt should have known better, he had been an Apple director in the days when Jobs believed the two companies were "natural allies".

I was no wiser. I got my first iPad on launch day and was immediately disappointed. My new tablet wouldn't let me do the what I did on my MacBook Air - or my tiny EeePC running Windows Xp (not Vista!). For example, writing a Monday Note on an iPad was a practical impossibility - and still is.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.