[Telecom] Residential Follow/Find Me Services

I am finding it difficult to maintain reachability using my cellular, home VOIP, and office phones.

The cellular in my office area is the pits [probably because our lab has hoards of satellite transmission equipment under test most of the time]. The odds of receiving a cellular call at my desk are maybe 25/75. Not good if you are expecting an important personal call. Making one is just as iffy unless I walk out into the lobby area to make it. At work, it would be great if the call could be received on my desk phone.

I have heard of services that are available that allow someone to dial a single number and then reach out to several of your phones to find you. I have found a few online. But none of the ones I have found serve the greater Phoenix Metropolitan area.

If you know of such a service serving Phoenix [and their cost isn't off the scale], could you email me directly with their information? It would also be nice to port my home number to that service and get another number for my home VOIP phone. That number is already well known by those who may need to reach me. I would imagine that could be very easily done by such a provider.

If anyone can help me [with some information] on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

In article you write:

I've been happy with Callcentric,

formatting link
who provide a la carte VoIP services. They have local Phoenix numbers and you can set up call treatments to do simultaneous ringing of both outgoing numbers and VoIP extensions (the latter working well on wifi.) If you don't answer, they have free voicemail which can e-mail you the recorded message.

You can set up something usable for $5/mo, more like $10/mo if you want a flat rate minute bundle.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Google Voice does that; it rings up to 6 forwarding phones. It has limitations, spend some time with it and read the forum

... before jumping in with both feet.

Reply to
David Lesher

Folks,

I thank all of you for the good suggestions on resolving this issue.

I went with John Levine's suggestion (Callcentric). It seems to be working fine for me. I still have a couple of issues to resolve with it. One was getting my local number ported over.

I have a VOIP phone on Magic Jack. I am trying to port that number to Callcentric since it is the one that most people dial to reach me.

Magic Jack bills annually for renewal. And Callcentric [like most phone service providers] requires an invoice from the provider from which the number is being ported. However, it appears that Magic Jack purges their invoices out of their billing system after a center amount of time [and I last renewed over summer of last year]. I haven't seen the renewal invoice for this year and I don't know how soon I will receive it. The invoice must include my account number, the number to be ported, and my service address. All Magic Jack has been able to give me is a receipt for payment. I am going to get a new local number to replace the number on the Magic Jack phone after I port the old one.

I corresponded with Callcentric. They told me to take screenshots of the required information in my Magic Jack profile and attach them to the porting request.

They also requested that I provide them with the password to my Magic Jack profile so they could further confirm that the number is mine to port. So I did both. I changed it to a temporary password, of course.

It only took them a couple of hours to confirm it. They have already noted on the case that the scheduled porting date is 5/22 (one week from today).

Porting issue resolved.

The remainder will just be cosmetic tweaking here and there.

Regards,

Fred

***** Moderator's Note *****

Are there any non-portable number blocks left?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Blocks is but one question. A bigger one is: can the carrier you want port the DN you seek?

Fred Goldstein can explain this; it's like a bad version of classic Adventure:

YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE TARIFFS, ALL (ALMOST) ALIKE.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.