Museum of Communications - Seattle (and Others)

I should probably remember to mention the Museum of Communications in Seattle, (formerly the Vintage Telephone Equipment Museum), operated by Washington Chapter 30, TelecomPioneers.

The musuem is located at: 7000 East Marginal Way S Seattle, Washington 98108 (206) 767-3012

(just down the street from the Museum of Flight) and is open Tuesdays from 8:30am to 2:00pm or by appointment.

formatting link

They have a large collection of phones, switches, tools, etc covering several floors. They share building space with a USWest central office.

From the moment you walk in the door, you are surrounded by old communications technology, from magneto phones to broadcast radio transmitters, from telegraph to teletype.

They have working #1, #5 and #755 crossbar, Step-by-Step, and #3ESS, as well as a Panel switch, believed to be the only working panel switch anywhere in the world.

If you are ever in Seattle, check it out ... Arrive early, as there is a lot to see. It is amazing just how much equipment they have managed to shoehorn into the space that they have.

===========================

Pacific Bell also has/had a small museum at their headquarters at

140 New Montgomery Street in San Francisco. I have not been there in years, and I do not know the status of it.
formatting link
============================

The Roseville Telephone Company (Now SureWest) has a telephone museum in Roseville, California (Near Sacramento)

formatting link
============================

for more links see:

formatting link
formatting link
I also came across a page of recordings of telephone sounds. Equipment, announcements, intercepts, etc.
formatting link

-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine -- Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net | | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |

-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Reply to
Bob Vaughan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.