ShopAlerts by AT&T [telecom]

AT&T Begins Service to Text Users in Certain Locations

By TANZINA VEGA FEBRUARY 27, 2011

In Chicago and other cities, AT&T is letting marketers send text messages to customers as they enter a certain area, like a store. On Monday, AT&T will announce the company's first location-based marketing service through which companies can send text messages to users who choose to receive special offers.

The service, called ShopAlerts by AT&T, will send users messages from brand partners including Hewlett-Packard, Kmart, JetBlue and S. C. Johnson. The company is working with Placecast, which supplies a technology known as geo-fencing that allows retailers to send messages to users in a defined geographic area.

AT&T is the first mobile carrier to use such a service in the United States. The service will be available for users in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco.

formatting link

AT&T Advanced Ad Solutions Launches ShopAlerts by AT&T, a Groundbreaking Location-Based Marketing Service Featuring Special Offers from Leading National Brands

Innovative opt-in service enables marketers to engage consumers on their mobile phones and drive them to the point of sale with relevant location-specific offers

New York, New York, February 28, 2011

AT&T Advanced Ad Solutions and Placecast today announced an agreement to provide ShopAlerts by AT&T, which are special offers delivered to consumers via their mobile phones when they are near a participating store or brand. The unique location-based mobile messaging service will be available for AT&T* customers in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco who have opted-in to receive such messages. AT&T is the first U.S. mobile carrier to offer a large-scale, location-based mobile marketing program to consumers and advertisers.

The innovative ShopAlerts by AT&T service will provide consumers with valuable offers, rewards, and coupons based on their specific geographic location. AT&T creates a "geo-fence" - a virtual-perimeter around a retail location, event, or any geographic area - in order to deliver appropriate location-specific messages. Participating consumers receive relevant marketing messages when they are inside a geo-fence, benefiting both consumers and marketers.

The messages are enhanced with information such as weather, traffic, and local shopping area details to more effectively engage consumers. Numerous companies have recognized the value of the ShopAlerts by AT&T service, and the initial presenting sponsors will be HP, Kmart, JetBlue, SC Johnson, Kibbles 'n Bits, Nature's Recipe and the National Milk Mustache "got milk?" Campaign.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Heh-heh ... more likely to drive me to distraction (!) than to any point of sale :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Talk about trying to place a positive spin on a Pied Piper scheme.

Reply to
Sam Spade

[Moderator snip]

You have to opt in to get the messages - which should limit the fallout from people who dont want it (although I did not see a way to opt out again afterwards)

But - the phone user bears the cost of the text messages while AT+T make money from the advertiser as well.

anyone else think this part is backwards?

Reply to
Stephen

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 21:18:42 +0000, Stephen wrote: .........

In Australia (and probably other countries as well) mobile users do not pay to receive calls or SMS - but on the flip side all outgoings from mobiles cost way more than "normal" phones.

Have we had a discussion of the merits of this way versus the US way of doing things where the example of this thread costs the (passive) receiver money?

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Reply to
David Clayton

Often. People in caller pays like it because incoming calls are "free", but of course they're not, they're charged to someone else. Caller pays has what's known as a "terminating monopoly", which means that if I want to call your mobile, I have to pay whatever price your carrier sets for people to call. As a result, terminating prices tend to be very high, and the actual per-minute price people pay is considerably higher than in mobile pays areas.

In North America, where it's all mobile pays, we're quite aware of the price of both outgoing and incoming calls, so there is a great deal of competition for both. I pay 10 cents/min on my cheap low volume prepaid phone; people who talk a lot and have monthly bundles pay less.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

(and don't forget Canada)

And these days, more and more wireless providers offer fixed monthly prices for "unlimited" US calling, or even unlimited US _AND_ Canada calling! That includes both outgoing calls, and ALL incoming calls.

As for text messaging, I simply told at&t/cingular that I don't text, and never intend on texting anyone. I had been getting $pam texts of "stock market quotes" from "brokers" in the middle of the night at

1am or 2am, or $pam texts of sports scores and wanting me to "purchase" their "package" of "unlimited" incoming texts of sports scores. I don't think that these $pam texts were coming from at&t/cingular, but rather from some $leazy $cumbag $pammer. It sort of reminded me of the old 900/976 PAY numbers.

I think that at&t/cingular removed the charges for receiving these $pam texts, and the second time it happened, I called them up and told them to simply BLOCK ALL texts. And I have had to tell people that I know that they should NEVER ASSUME that anyone automatically has texting capability, or even if they do, they might have texting turned off. If I still had my old analog AMPS cellphone, it wouldn't have even been text-capable at all! But for those people who still insist that they just "have" to text me instead of CALLING me (and leaving a voicemail if necessary, afterall, it's a PHONE first, not a TTY), and I don't get their text, it's NOT my problem, but THEIR'S!

at&t/cingular told me that I might still receive "administrative" texts from them, at NO charge. I did tell them that "admin texts" from at&t/cingular should NOT include any of "their" telemarketing, even if I wouldn't be charged, and so far, I haven't received any such at&t/cingular-based telemarketing texts, even though it would be "free" to me.

... and that I could still send a "remaining monthly minutes" text request to them, and receive (moments later) a text-back indicating how many "free" (voice) min's are remaining that month, all at no charge. But about a year ago, I switched over the unlimited US plan, and there's no longer a need for any "impromptu" monthly (voice) min's remaining (free) text from them!

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com

Reply to
markjcuccia

This topic has been breached many many many times. Bringing it up again is not likely to settle anything.

Reply to
Joseph Singer

I suspect flat-rate, local area, wireline subscribers in the US would revolt if they had to pay for making a local call to anyone.

And, I suspect the regulators protect them from that happening.

Reply to
Sam Spade

When I upgraded to my iPhone in Dec, 2008, I instituted text blocking on my account (wife has old Motorola, but it can receive text).

I have not received any text messages from AT&T.

Reply to
Sam Spade

There's another difference to consider. In the USA there is no way for the calling party to know whether the number he is calling is a landline or a mobile. Indeed, because of number portability, a number whose office code is for landlines could actually have been ported to a mobile. I believe that on other continents mobile numbers are distinct so that the calling party will (or should) know that he is calling a mobile.

Dick

Reply to
Richard

Can you port a mobile number to a land line?

In the old days, if you moved to a new house within the area served by your CO, you could keep your old number. Does the portability stuff let me keep my old number if I move to a new CO within the same phone company? Or move to a different area code?

Reply to
Hal Murray

I receive a text message from AT&T every month when I pay my bill. It specifies it is a free message. I am not sure why AT&T finds it worthwhile to send this message, which is simply an annoyance.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

In most areas, yes. There may be rural areas where you can't port between mobile and landline, but in urban areas it should work.

Most of the porting goes the other way, people dump their landline in favor of mobile, but it works the other way, too.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Under some circumstances, yes. The simplest being where the number of that mobile is a ported land-line number.

Maybe.

No.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

There should be a way to opt out of this notification.

Reply to
Richard

First port it to Google Voice, and then set forwarding numbers to any domestic number you wish.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.