Security [telecom]

In thirteen years of IT work, I had reason to know things about different networks. For one, the login/password on EVERY server in the offices of EVERY agent for a nationwide insurance company is "Admin/PassWord", or something similar.

For a nationwide retailer NOT based in Bentonville, the same info is/ was, to the best of my recollection, Adm1n/Pass2word.

The CEO of a different (larger) insurer has his login/password on a Post-It note stuck to his monitor.

(The people who clean his office could surely make a LOT of money with this little bit of knowledge)

The state of network security is perilous, to put it most charitably.

The ONE system that was relatively secure was a bank for which I did Y2K - EVERY other system was laughable. (Unless there was one or two that I can't recall right now).

Surely my experience is roughly typical - unless I just happened to hit the ONLY insecure systems in the country?

Given that there is effectively no security on many or most of the networks connected to the Internet - why is there not more havoc created by either people who wish us ill or perhaps bored teenagers or Russian cyber-criminals?

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

I used to work with Nortel PBX's, and the number of installations that still had the "0000" master password (way after initial install) was frightening.

"Toll fraud" used to be a big issue before all this new-fangled Internet stuff became prominent, it was no surprise (to me, at least) that both things were/are happening.

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.