Recording/Wiring directly from an older phone to tapedeck???

Hello,

I would like to able to archive my voicemails and calls by recording directly to a stereo tape deck. I am planning the use of a Western Electric

2500DM deskset phone. I wired directly from the handset wires to two RCA/phono plugs, one pair from the ear speaker wires, another pair from the microphone wires. I checked-out several schematics on the internet to try to figure out whether the speaker and microphone signals would be compatible for recording, I didn't find any related info. So, before I connect those RCA plugs to my stereo aux inputs, I thought I'd better get advice--just in case the voltages/amperages are much higher than regular LINE level or MIC level inputs--thus avoiding burning up my stereo.

Any advice you might have would be apppreciated. Links to specific websites with diagrams would help also.

Thanks-in-advance for any ideas.

homeautomashun

***** Moderator's Note *****

Although it's possible to record using the earpiece wires on a telephone, it's a lot easier to buy a telephone tap that plugs into the RJ-11 jack. That way, you keep the phone in use.

You could also take the signal from the speaker wires of a "hands free" capable set, preferably one with a "mute" feature, but either way you'll need an instrument "off hook" during the call, to enter DTMF commands to the voice mail system.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
Homeautomation Services
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.