Re: Bell Divestiture

>> It is not inaccurate. Demand ramped up *far*faster* than the Bell system

>> projections indicated. >> There were numerous big-city locations where you _could_not_get_ RBOC >> phone lines in quantity, when you wanted them. 'Rationing' _was_ in >> effect. For a variety of reasons -- lack of field workers to do >> physical interconnects, lack of C.O. capacity, among the big ones. >> When you're down to the last few thousand numbers available out of a >> C.O. that serves 100,000 numbers, and the new switch isn't due for >> delivery for another 18 months, you _don't_ have many choices. > Number Ageing. > As recently as 10 years ago, the RBOCs had pretty much a consistent > 12-month number aging policy. When the crunch came in selected > offices, those offices were generally allowed to use faster aging, but > the software generally could not accommodate different aging for > speciic exchanges. Their choices were to lower aging company wide or > have the service order processor override 12 month aging case by case. > Neither a great solution, but aging changes did free up thousands of > numbers. > Today I'd be surprised if anyone really cares about aging any more, > especially with wireless. >> Telephone _line_ sales had reached the 'saturation' point, Nearly >> everybody that was likely to buy telephone service *had* service. The >> only place for 'revenue growth' was in "add-on sales". 'Additional >> extensions' was the big-money item in this class. extra jacks were >> one-time revenue item. 'Long cords' (set to wall, or handset to base) >> couldn't justify much of a recurring charge. Additional sets, on the >> other hand, were almost pure gravy. With only one line there was, in >> general, only one phone in use at a time, so the wear-and-tear on the >> second phone was mostly covered by the increased life-expectancy of >> the first one. > We're talking Western Electric phone sets, here. The kind that when > they pulled samples and dropped them 50,000 times to see if it would > break, it would't. > The building housing the phone would disintegrate before the phone > would break No wear and tear concerns. > In my OCAP assignment, I rode along with a repairman one day, on an > NDT complaint (No Dial Tone.) It turns out the husband got mad at the > wife and threw the phone through the wall. Big hole in the wall, and > the phone wires pulled out of of the box. > Repaired the box, reattached the wires, and the phone worked > perfectly! Didn't fix the hole in the wall > One day Western woke up and found the retail cost of a new phone at > Radio Shack was less than Western's cost of parts for a 500 deskset. > So after some marketing shifts, they got out of the handset business. > Today, break a phone? Buy a new one. Just like a TV. --

Or, hold on to that old Western Electric gear that is perfectly functional.

The only newer pieces of phone gear in my house are a 900MHz cordless phone, a 2500 set and a Trimline. Everything else is older than me.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.