How can I do this (CCTV)

Residential install; lady wants two exterior cameras (no biggie I already ran two coax, two cat5e, two power wires - so I'm set for anything). But she can't make up her mind what she wants us to do with the signal...DVR, Capture Card, modulate to TVs??

Since her brother gave her a prefectly good 2 year old computer, I figured I'd just install a decent capture card with internet capabilities on the computer and run a remote LCD display to her bedroom (about 15 feet from the computer). The 'puter will be located at the structured wiring box.

That seemed too simple.

Now she's thinking she may also want it modulated to 3 TV locations.

This is why I go nuts.

She has money for anything reasonable I come up with.

Can I take the output from the cameras and modulate it AND send it to the capture card? Or is this backwards thinking. She's got me confused now.

R.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Well, I guess you could modulate them on unused channels for distribution to TV's - then install a TV tuner card on the PC - hell I'm watching Family Guy right now in a window. But that is not going to turn the PC into a DVR (not sure if that's what you wanted). It would just allow for monitoring the cams on the PC and record 1 at a time.

You can split the signal and send un modulated feeds to a PC capture card for a home built DVR. And then modulate the 2 from the split and inject them into the cable (get's more complicated if she has SAT).

OR.. Get a capture card and use the Monitor output to modulate for injection on the CATV/SAT.

OR..

formatting link
Or maybe wireless video Tx-Rx for the TV's set on the AUX inputs if you don't want to f*ck with channel modulation/injection.

I'll think about it some more... gotta run.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I've done it that way before. Instead of screwing around with a capture card in a computer, why not just use a Bosch VIP X2?

formatting link
You can stick a USB hard drive on it and view the video on the 2 year old computer (or any computer on her network) with almost any web browser. You don't have to be a Bosch dealer to get the VIP X2. Anixter has them. I am sure other distributors do too. All Bosch Video over IP (BVIP) I have used work just fine. The only issue I have found with the BVIP line is the X1600. If it is made in Germany it has a high failure rate. The ones made in Portugal don't fail. Unfortunately you can't specify which country you get when you order the item. In any case you would use an X1600 on a residential account. They'd flip when they saw the price on an iSCSI array. So why not take a walk on the wild side and try an edge encoder like the VIP X2?

Reply to
Just Looking

An alternative is to modulate the camera signals, merge them with the CATV and stick a TV tuner card in the PC. This will give her the ability to watch any camera on any TV or the PC at will. It won't provide a multiplexed screen though -- one camera at a time. But this is a house, not a commercial setup. That should be fine.

ChannelPlus makes high grade modulators, signal amplifiers, etc., that are tough to beat. They're pricier than some but their stuff is rock solid.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Better idea, try Optiflex and if the TV's have coax input you can output to that, or send it to any computer or heck get her a Symphony and it'll display on that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's pretty cool stuff. I saw some of it at the isc last year but the booth was so mobbed i didn't learn much.

I don't want to use a Vista panel on this house though...even though it was an extensive remodel, the place is a giant faraday cage...so I wanna stick with 900 mhz transmitters (we couldn't get to every opening so some stuff's gonna be wireless).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

if the computer have a video out on the video card you could just send the quad view of the dvr software to a modulator on the cable network, that way you have both option, she will even be able to watch the play back on tv and record it to a vhs!

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: 47a8e6f8$0$496$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

Reply to
Petem

VHS?

Reply to
Sue

We've had quite a few inquiries about Optiflex video monitoring so I put up a page on it.

formatting link
It's expensive but for high-end homes and for some business apps (day care providers, for example) it's getting quite popular. Parents like the idea of monitoring the day care over the Internet. Also, by archiving activities on a DVR day care providers can protect themselves from lawsuits.

I sell CCTV, fire and intercom systems to a number of assisted living centers and nursing homes. Internet video monitoring is generating a lot of interest among them. There have been some major lawsuits over quality of care, prompting interest in video monitoring and recording to protect caregivers against liability. These usually require a more robust solution than Optiflex but the similar services are available using TCP/IP enabled DVRs. The slick interface that Optiflex offers gets it a better WAF rating than commercial DVRs though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You apparently know nothing about Optiflex

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Forgive him, he's french

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It was an opening to post his sales pitch.

Reply to
G. Morgan

old stuff but still in uses..

especialy with home user...

"Sue" a écrit dans le message de news:

47a9bd99$0$22655$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

If you have a capture card with a composite video *output*, you could just split that out to an A/V input on each TV - rather than changing channels, then, she'd just hit the Input Select button. You might need some sort of video-distribution amp to split it three-ways without signal loss, but it will be a hulluva lot cheaper than most high-channel modulators (you could get a channel 3/4 modulator designed for video games for about $15-$20, but that's more likely to interfere with a channel that's already in use).

If she needs to see BOTH cameras on her TVs, a basic quad or used MUX would do as well, providing either a 2x2 or PIP view, or stepping between cameras. Most have in/out loops so it's easy to run the cameras into the box and then chain them out to the capture card. The output(s) from the quad or MUX can then go to a modulator, or split out to the TVs' A/V inputs.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Not this home user. If somebody tried to sell me that, they'd be limping home.

Reply to
Sue

would do as well, providing either a 2x2 or PIP view, or stepping between cameras...

Regarding PIP: Using a mux or switcher it would be easy to automatically flip channels. But to use PIP with the output of a video card she'll need one with a dual channel modulator. Unless the PC card does simultaneous, multi-channel modulation, she'll need separate cards for each camera and she'll need to make sure more than one of the same type card can run at the same time in her PC. That might be a problem.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.