Re: What Happened To Channel 1

snipped-for-privacy@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net (T>> Sort of how the FCC has pretty much admitted that anyone with a

>> modicum of technical knowledge will be able to defeat the broadcast >> flag. > I think you've mentioned this before, but what does it mean? The > system as originally conceived requires the digital representation of > flagged content to be protected by encryption on bus and media. I > have more than a modicum of technical knowledge and I don't see an > easy way around the proposed system in concept. Has the original > system been abandoned? Or are you aware of some implementation flaw?
*Somewhere* in the TV set, the signal has to get decrypted, before it can be presented to the CRT, or other actual 'display'.

Thus there *is* a "cleartext" signal running around inside the box.

Thus, someone with a reasonable amount of skill can 'tap' the cleartext signal, and "voila!"

And there's always the "idiot method" -- just point a camcorder at the TV.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.