Re: What Happened To Channel 1

There was such a huge amount of misinformation running around

> among the CBers. I couldn't believe some of the things they would say > and I can't imagine where they were getting information like that.

Whenever I need some comic releif, I check out the CB section of the local truck stop.

BTW: Did anyone notice the latest trend in antennas? You angle them forward about 45 degrees. These are the rigid ones that might bend back five degrees in the wind, if that much.

I haven't yet figured out what they think they are accomplishing.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, I have heard that horizonal polarization (that is, when an antenna is at a 90 degree angle) offers better transmission and reception. The stuff transmitted 'vertically' (which is how most antennas are mounted) does not get in the way as 'interference' that much. I think there is a difference if you are radiating a 'full wave' or a 'half-wave' also. It has been a _long time_ since I studied much about citizen's band radio, but I do know that the exact length and placement of a _transmitting_ antenna is very critical in getting out a good signal. I do know that radio waves travel at approximatly the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) and the antenna has to be 'cut' in such a way as to accomodate that formula. An 'eleven meter' band transmission (CB radio) therefore has to have ideally an antenna about 14 feet long for a 'full wave' or about 8 feet long for a 5/8 wave, which is considered acceptable. When the amount of space is not sufficient, then the radio can be 'tricked' by loading the antenna with coils. I have forgotten so much of that stuff, it really pains me. Anyway, horizonal polarization is supposed to have its good points. PAT]
Reply to
Dave VanHorn
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.