Re: Vonage Changes 911 to Opt-Out

I certainly should have typed "VoIP communications device" not "IP". Funny what a couple of characters can do ... I stand by the rest of my spiel: any emergency services solution needs to be transparent to the user. Among other reasons, VoIP is a personal service more like cell phones than PBX extensions. And we should be making progress, not regressing to old and tedious solutions (even if they work:-). We'll probably be better served by not mandating anything vis-a-vis emergency services and VoIP until we can do it right (at least on a national level).

Dean

>> You are essentially relegating every IP communications device to a 911 >> caller first and then any other type of communications (and only after >> the customer jumps through a number of hoops remembering to drop >> cookie crums so she can find her way back should she need to change >> something). > How do you figure that? In my proposal, *ONLY* the VoIP functionality is > ffected by the need to 'drop cookie crumbs". >> I agree with you that this solution would probably be a >> quicker one to implement, but I don't think it would ever be >> considered satisfactory. Any 911 solution needs to be more transparent >> to the user than what you describe. Therefore, it probably has to be a >> technology solution (naturally any technology will be implementing >> policy!). > This solution is *exactly* what PBX admins have to do when they move > hard-wired phones behind their PBX. It is in real-world use today. > It works. > If you want to be your own phone service provider, there are > responsibilities that go along with that task. > Doing VoIP *does* mean that you are the 'last mile' phone service > provider -- The VoIP provider is providing the 'port' on the switch, > at their premises. It is *your* responsibility to provide the > connection to that point. >> Your points about GPS and its relatives are well taken. Sadly, even >> though I consider your suggested solution inadequate, I have nothing >> better to suggest at this time ... Frankly I think it's too soon to >> suggest anything in this field, except that users of VoIP should be >> *warned* that their service doesn't include 911. I would hazard the >> guess that most anyone who at some point in time needs to dial 911 >> from a VoIP phone, also has a cell available to do that job. Maybe for >> now we should only mandate that anyone who dials 911 from a VoIP phone >> should be given an announement to the effect "use your cell phone to >> make this call!" >> Dean >>> >>> [[.. munch ..]] >>>> The "easy" solution is a two-part one. >>>> Part 1: The VoIP 'head end' tracks the 'most recently used' IP >>>> address for each customer. _EVERY_TIME_ the customer IP >>>> address changes, the phone goes *out*of*service* with a >>>> notice that the customer must update their "calling >>>> location". >>>> Possibly with an added hook that if the phone has been 'off >>>> line' for some non-trivial period, that when it goes back >>>> 'on line', the customer is queried (in an automated >>>> fashion) to confirm that they are still at "thus and such >>>> location"; where "thus and such" is the previously >>>> specified location for the phone. >>>> Part 2: The VoIP 'head end' maps the various 'calling locations' >>>> to the appropriate PSAP, upon need. >>>> Add an option for the customer to intentionally _not_ specify his >>>> location, but which also totally disables 911 calling. This protects >>>> his 'privacy' at the expense of his safety, but it is the customer's >>>> decision. >>>> The last part of the puzzle is ensuring that the customer is aware >>>> that the "location information" provided is used for "emergency calls" >>>> and that deliberately providing FALSE information can (and probably >>>> _will_) lead to criminal prosecution if emergency services are >>>> directed to an incorrect location as a result of said false >>>> information. There is already existing enforcement mechanism for this >>>> -- "filing a false police report", etc. >>> [[.. munch ..]]
Reply to
Dean M.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.