Re: VoIP

For several months I've been getting calls with spoofed Caller IDs. I

> understand spoofing requires either VoIP or a PBX system with DSL. > Can anybody with cable internet access and suitable software make VoIP > calls? > The other day I received a wrong-number call from an exchange belonging > to Level 3 Communications. Among other services, they offer residential > VoIP services through wholesalers such as ISPs and cable operators. I'm > confused. Does a consumer need these services to use VoIP? > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I don't think either 'VOIP' or 'PBX system' > have anything to do with it. If I understand correctly what I have > read here in the Digest, it requires a 'PRI' type thing; that is, a > multi-channel set of lines going to DID, or Direct Inward Dialing,

Would you believe "DOD" -- direct *OUTWARD* dial?

"DID" trunks handle incoming calls only. "DOD" trunks handle outgoing calls only. "DID/DOD" trunks handle both.

Caller-id data _origination_ occurs only for outgoing calls.

which would, I guess, be similar to a PBX arrangement.

Some sort of a 'switch', usually a PBX-equivalent, is required to handle DID / DOD trunks.

Then there are the "big boys" -- who have SS7-compatible switches, which are a C.O.-equivalent, rather than PBX-equivalent, device.

Companies who have those lines _can_ set the caller ID to be > whatever is appropriate in their instance.

Sometimes the telco 'filters' what CID data the company can send, sometimes not. When "not", an unscrupulous company can set the ID info to _anything_.

Unfortunately, the "lowest-priced" PRI providers are the ones least likely to do filtering, *and* are the ones that said unscrupulous companies are most likely to use.

I suspect the fact that the ID shown was that > company may have been just coincidental. You do need either cable > internet or DSL to use VOIP; regular 'dialup' lines are just not wide > enough or fast enough to do VOIP. But other than having DSL or cable, > VOIP takes nothing especially fancy; just an adapter box from the > place where you get the VOIP service and any regular telephone > instrument will do the job. And if you planned on totally getting > rid of your landline phone taking VOIP instead, that is generally > not possible with DSL, since most telcos will not give stand-alone > DSL.

Unless you buy SDSL service, which is _always_ delivered on it's own pair.

Unless you get your DSL from MCI, Covad, or New Edge Networks -- or a 'reseller' of any of those carriers -- all of whom offer dedicated-pair ADSL.

Unless Qwest is your ILEC.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But I _defy you_ to pick up your phone right now and talk to the first service rep who answers and order SDSL service. They will not know what you are talking about; probably no one in the vicinity will know. And if you _do_ order it satisfactorily from MCI, Covad, New Edge or others, then God bless you; it will be extraordinarily expensive and if your intent was to save money by going with VOIP instead of landline, you've completely killed that plan. In essence -- in real life practice and experience -- you cannot get stand alone DSL (and pay your VOIP bill each month on top of that) in any reasonable cost-effective way. After arguing with the service reps for some period of time on the matter, you will decide cable is a better and less expensive way to go. PAT]
Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.