DOD and OSI

What are the main differences between DoD internet Model and ISO OSI Model? Thank you

Reply to
bee_bkk977
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
John Agosta

that's interesting, i hadn't realised there was actually an OSI protocol suite, as well as just the OSI ref model

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

DoD internet model is TCP/IP I've read of Its layers as NITA network interface, internetwork, transport, application Though I often hear of a "Link Layer"

OSI protocol suite, I don't think caught on, though perhaps some protocols did. There are 7 layers Physical,data link,network,transport,session,presentation,application PDNTSPA(ppl do not throw sausage pizza away) or APSTNDP(all ppl seem to need data processing).

The layers correspond. TCP/IP's network interface layer corresponds to OSI's physical and datalink layers. TCP/IP's internetwork layer corresponds to OSI's network layer. Transport corresponds to OSI's transport layer + maybe some session layer TCP/IP's application layer coresponds to OSI's S,P,A layers. or P and A. (or, TCP/IP doesn't have the S and P layers/ perhaps jsut a bit of S in the transport layer)

Since the layers corresopnd, people sometimes use OSI layer terminology on the TCP/IP model.

I'm not sure about this TCP/IP Link Layer. If it is between "network interface" and "internetwork" then TCP/IP would be a 5 layer model.

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

Once upon a time these protocols were a big deal. It was alot of fun installing 30 x 5/14" diskettes into a DOS station trying to make this work.... But after Al Gore invented the internet, most of these protocols went out to pasture.... Some would say, "thankfully."

Enjoy...

Reply to
John Agosta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.