Re: Update Interval For E911 Records

Pat,

> I have a customer who's using Vonage as his primary business line. > The problem is that he moves it with him from job to job, many of them > in buildings with no phone service that he's in charge of remodeling, > and he's got a medical condition that might cause his coworkers to > dial 911. > He tells me that there's no problem with 911 calls because Vonage has > a screen he uses to update his address. > The question: how long do E911 updates take to propagate once submitted > by Vonage? IIRC, it's at least a day, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. > William > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I was told it is more or less a few > times daily, but my problem would be your first paragraph: 'many of > them buildings with no phone service in them.' If that is the case, > then *how* does he get the internet connection needed to use his VOIP > line? Do you mean the buildings have no phone service but somehow *do* > have cable installed for his VOIP line? Without cable modems or DSL > lines, how is he going to use the VOIP? I am sure the person must > have a cell phone; my suggestion would be to use in case of an > emergency. Forward his VOIP line to his cell phone. PAT]

Pat,

He's in the business of replacing existing phones and wire with new equipment, and old key systems with PBX's and dial tone provided by a CLEC.

Suffice to say that experience has shown there are usually interruptions to the dial tone during that kind of work, and in any event he wants to have "his" number available for calls when in the buildings out-of-hours. He's almost always able to find a data connection, either by hooking up to an existing customer in the building or by finding a wifi hot spot, using a Pringles antenna.

The benefit of having the VoIP line is that he can test a new PBX with "live" dialtone when the company's numbers get fouled up during LNP switching, and that happens a lot. He also likes to able to "transfer" his calls to his house without having to go back to an office at the end of the day (I don't know how Vonage does that, but he has two Linksys boxes, one with him and one at home).

Anyway, the point is he makes it work somehow, and I'd like to be sure that a 911 call via the Vonage box would show the correct address.

William

(Remove "nonoise" for direct replies.)

Reply to
William Warren
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.