Re: Unauthorized Remote Access to Answering Machine

Choreboy wrote:

>> I've been doing chores for a vacationing relative. Tuesday, I >> answered his phone at 9 AM and got a series of beeps, perhaps half a >> second long and three seconds apart. I waited and hung up. It >> happened again two minutes later. >> Two minutes later it rang a third time. I didn't get to it in time. >> When I walked past the answering machine, the display said it was >> being remotely accessed. >> If my relative had called to check his answering machine, I didn't >> understand why he had kept beeping me instead of replying when I said >> hello. None of the messages had been erased. I'd never known him to >> leave messages on the machine after checking. >> Was it somebody fooling around? I asked another relative to phone and >> try the machine manufacturer's default remote-access code, which was >> incorrect. With the wrong code, the display said only for a second >> that it was being remotely accessed. It had stayed on longer the >> first time, as if the first caller really had checked the messages. >> At 9 AM Wednesday morning it happened again. I listened a minute or >> so, until the other end hung up. I realized the beeps were a pure >> tone and not the sounds of a touchtone phone, so it wasn't my relative >> trying to access his messages. When they called two minutes alter, >> the answering machine got it. There was no third call. >> Call Return gave me a number. It's not listed, but travel sites on >> the web say it's the fax line of a fancy hotel hundreds of miles from >> here. My relatives have never had occasion to stay in that city. >> I don't know anything about fax protocol. When somebody answers, will >> a fax machine emit a beep every three seconds or so for a minute or >> so? Will it keep calling if a human answers but stop calling if an >> answering machine answers? Can an answering machine mistake a fax >> machine for a human with the access code? >> Another possibility is that the Caller ID was faked and somebody is >> using a machine to spy on my relative's telephone messages. Is there >> such a device? >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It could be a spy machine, but I think >> it more likely that you/relatives are being terrorized by an incorrectly >> programmed fax machine at the First National Bank of Chicago. That >> very fax machine, or one of its ancestors has a long history (25 years >> or more) of auto-dialing the wrong numbers, and continuing to do so >> until Illinois Bell has to threaten FNB with disconnection of the >> phone line to get it to stop. 25 years ago, circa 1979-80 First >> National Bank of Chicago's fax machine was programmed to call around >> to various branches of the bank during early evening hours to 'poll' >> for documents or deliver documents issued by the bank. Trouble was, >> the humanoids in charge of the machine misprogrammed the dialing >> string. They got an extra '01' in the string somewhere, so the machine >> was calling _Germany_ during what would be the overnight hours in that >> country. Religiously, several times per night, five nights per week, >> that fax machine was calling a private family in Germany, and >> terrorizing them. Just silence, then 'beep beep, etc', more silence >> then more 'beep, beep'. After a week or two of this, the family, by >> now frightened out of their wits, or really, more annoyed, ask for >> intervention from Bundespost, and in due course Bundespost traced it >> back to the idiotic Americans, and in turn asked AT&T to review the >> problem. AT&T found it was coming from Illinois Bell territory, the >> Wabash central office to be exact, and told those people to get the >> problem cured. Like complaints made to the Illinois Commerce >> Commission where the complaint is raised and the prissy old lady >> secretary at the Commission makes a _single_ phone call of inquiry, >> then folds her hands and announces self-righteously "I have called the >> company and they _assure_ me it will be corrected" (and then it never >> is), IB Telco tracked it down to the fax machine at the First National >> Bank, made a phone call, said in essence to can the shit and get that >> fax machine under control. But it was not cured, and the problems went >> on for another month or so all night long. The German family inquired >> further, Bundepost inquired again, and AT&T, more than a little >> annoyed -- I guess Bundespost had really breathed on them a little >> this time -- passed along their grief once again to Illinois Bell. >> This time, a manager in Illinois Bell's security unit made a 'courtesy >> call' on the bank's Vice President-Telecom and told him unless _he_ >> would cure it, telco was going to cut off the fax machine line. The >> VP-Telecom for the bank went downstairs with the proverbial hatchet in >> hand, ready to do business on the spot, laid into his people and got >> the fax machine reprogrammed on the spot. But, as Paul Harvey would >> phrase it, 'the rest of the story is to follow'. Bank's telephone bill >> arrived the next month, with page after page after page after page of >> _LOTS_ of one-minute calls to the same number in Germany, one after >> another, every couple minutes all night long. Since most employees of >> First National Bank have the memory retention of a parrot or a tortoise, >> bank employees in charge of reconciling the phone bill assumed, this >> must be some screw up by the phone company, and by God, we are not >> going to pay for a phone company mistake. Telco explained to FNB >> (I assume with a straight face) what had happened. I do not know if >> telco eventually wrote it off (as they used to do _everything_ that >> a customer would not pay for) or not. >> I wonder if the people using the hotel public fax machine wherever in >> your account also blamed the added charges on their bill on a screw >> up by the hotel switchboard. Probably. Did you or will you tell your >> relatives about this incident when they get back from their vacation? >> PAT] > Thank you Pat! You've given me insight. > It didn't occur to me that a guest might send faxes over the same phone > line by which the management receives faxes. The number is advertised > as the fax line for Brookstown Inn in Winston-Salem. The building was > erected in 1836 as a textile mill. The inn is a sort of museum. > My relatives say they did stay there once. They think the hotel must > have been trying to fax them travel ads but don't understand why they > dialed the voice number. > That didn't sound right. Annoying people with faxes would discourage > repeat business. Besides, under the law, an established business > relationship does not justify faxing an ad without specific permission. > And if the hotel were faxing a list of former guests, the list the > second day would exclude those who had received their faxes the first > day. So one would not expect the phone to ring at exactly 9 AM both days. > Suppose faxes submitted by hotel guests are cued until normal office > hours. If the fax intended for my relatives was the first in line, that > could be why the phone rang at 9 AM both days. > I couldn't find anyone who knew how it sounds to be called by a fax > machine. So I installed fax software on my computer, faxed my > relatives' voice line, and listened on an extension. I recognized the > beeps. Apparently their answering machine took the beeping for a person > having trouble punching a touchtone code. The machine's voice > instructed the caller to punch the access code, and the answering > machine waited. That explains why for several seconds the machine's > display said it was being remotely accessed. > I can even explain why the voice line was dialed. Daplus.us is an > online phone book that seems to be updated several times a year. For > years, it has listed my relatives' fax number as their voice number. > I suppose someone with a subscription to daplus could request fax > numbers, and daplus would probably give my relatives' voice number as > their fax number. > I think a hotel guest who wanted to fax my relatives got the wrong > number from daplus. The first day, the guest got a report that the fax > hadn't gone through, so the guest submitted it again. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Then they probably did it a few more > times 'just to make sure of the number', etc. You did not say if the > problem was still going on or not. PAT]

My relatives were home Thursday morning and Friday morning and reported nothing. The guest may have left the hotel Wednesday.

Reply to
Choreboy
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.