Re: [telecom] Cellphones and driving [Telecom]

> ***** Moderator's Note *****

>> By the way, does anyone have data on the percentage of cell phone use >> done by automobile drivers vs. passengers vs. those not in cars? > I don't have any real data other than personal observation, but on the > drivers vs. passengers issue, I'd say that it was drivers over > passengers 20:1. First, because most cars have only a driver, no > passengers. Second, because it's much less common to see a cell phone > in use when there are multiple people in the car. > > Dave

When there are multiple people in the car, the conversation is as much of a distraction as using a cellphone is. Or perhaps they now have distraction overload. It's common to see a woman on a cellphone in her SUV with several kids in the car, trying to navigate through a tight left turn lane.

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

One can only wish and hope that maternal instinct would prevail and they'd stop using cell phones while driving unless they're competing for the Darwin Awards (which shouldn't be done on public roads).

Each new day I'm more convinced cell phone use by a driver, handsfree or not, should be illegal and carry a hefty fine (> $1,000 1st time) because people are simply not using good sense.

Distracted driving laws and enforcement should include eating, preening, texting and anything else affecting safe driving.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

I disagree for the most part. Generally a passenger will notice that things are getting a bit dicey and keep quiet for a bit while the merge or lane change or turn is happening.

Also it's a lot easier to tell a passenger hold on a sec. I've had to help people on the cell phone two or three times to hang on until they stop babbling.

Not always of course.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.