Re: [telecom] 911 service center troubles [Telecom]

Before the 1960s person-to-person calls were very common for

> businesses. Charging did not start until the desired party came to > the phone and the conversation began. Into the 1950s many people > placed a call by name "get me Joe Smith in Kansas City", which meant > the local toll operator had to first call directory, then make the > actual call. The telephone compnay pushed "call by number" and > later "call by area code and number".

During a strike when managers were called on to work th switchboards, I once handled a person-to-person call collect to someone started somewhere south along the Mississippi River and was referred again and again to places serially north along the river (complete with telephone number) and finally reached him at a pay phone well up the river and he immediately accepted it on a Bell credit card.

That kind of service went with person-to-person calls. People trying to locate someone for business reasons (and perhaps other reasons) would call for a person by name and give several numbers in different places to try. At some of those numbers you might find people with further information about where to try. I very valuable resource for people in some lines of business. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.