Re: [telecom] 911 service center troubles [Telecom]

Allow me to clarify. In the old days, most pay phones required a

> coin deposit first to make _any_ kind of call. The coin was held, > and if the line was busy or no answer the coin was returned. (Some > rural pay phones worked differently).

There were also prepay coin service in some larger manual exchanges. Postpay phones were common in smaller (rural?) exchanges.

In Ine late 1960s, partly in response to urban crime, pay phones > were modified to be "dial tone first". No coin was required to dial > the operator. If 911 was available, no coin was required for that > either. The above mentioned NYT article said dial-tone-first was > going in at the same time as 911 service. > An additional benefit of dial-tone-first was that the caller up > front would know if the pay phone was broken by not getting a dial > tone.

A further additional benefit was that you could make a credit card or collect call without having to deposit a coin. Important if you didn't have a coin available. Yes, it was rare, but credit cards (and I think collect) calls could be made with a credit card.

As to "keeping pay phones active to this day", here's how: Many > passenger rail carriers want to provide an emergency telephone for > people in distress at a station. There are various ways this could > be done, but the cheapest way is to arrange to have a standard pay > phone in the station (no coin is required to call 911). > Since coin collections these days are low, the carrier usually has > to pay the phoneco to have the phone, but that payment is cheaper > than providing other types of emergency phones. In addition, those > passengers who don't have a cell phone, as some today, have the > convenience of a pay phone to make calls (I do see people using them > from time to time.)

Who pays for the pay phones in Union or other stations used by more than one railroad?

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure what you mean that "credit cards were rare". I'm pretty sure the Bell System did not accept general cards like American Express, Visa, or Mastercard (and their predecessors). However, the Bell System issued subscribers its own credit card for free, and this was popular for business. It was in effect an automatic "bill to third number" card.

Calls that could've been made without a coin were collect, credit card, and bill to third number.

Things changed after divesture, but that is beyond our scope here.

Regardless of the ownership, train stations have one manager entity. It may be one of the owner railroads, or it may be a group set up. For example, Washington DC Union Station had a subsidiary "Terminal Company" that was the corporate owner, operated the station, etc. So that owner would pay for the pay phones or receive any toll commissions.

Reply to
hancock4

It was a Bell System Telephone Credit Card. I had one.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Yep, I remember the NyNex calling cards - they were your home phone number plus four digits.

Easily hacked too.

Reply to
T

At the time of divesture things got confusing, since both your local baby bell could issue you one and your long distance carrier could issue you one. Both were good on any kind of call.

AFAIK, they're still around, I believe called "Calling Cards" today. But today you have to dial an access number first; if you merely dial

0+ you'll be charged a fortune by an "AOS".

I'm not sure what Calling Card rates are today.

Obviously the traditional telco Calling Cards aren't as popular as there are prepaid toll cards and personal cellphones. Heck, if you're conducting busy and want to make a quick long distance call they'll let you since many businesses have fairly cheap long distance arrangements.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.