Re: Power Strips for Home Networks

In message David B. Horvath, CCP PAT -- please remove email address, too much SPAM.

>> I've accumulated so many devices on my home network (and some devices >> that are not network related as well) that power strips are an issue. >> Most of these devices have the big 'calculator charger' type of power >> supply that plugs directly into the AC outlet. > Yes, you are not the only one with this problem. My current solution > is multiple power strips plugged into multiple outlets. However, I've > also seen (sorry, can't remember where, try a web search) short > extension cords for use with wall-worts and power strips. The cords > get the blocks away from the strip so you can use all the available > power jacks.

formatting link
Pat,

By daisy chaining your power strips, you are causing the first ones in > the chain to be overloaded and possibility the circuit it's plugged into. > And it is a fire waiting to happen.

The risk isn't generally relevant in the case of typical brick adapters.

I have a bunch of powerbars in the basement that are rated between 5 Amp and 12 Amps each, and are chained. I tossed in a meter in front of the only powerbar that actually connects to the wall and the whole thing is actively using less then 2 Amp.

The power spikes up to 4 Amp right when the power is initially connected, but that's about it.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.