Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?

If I set up another computer with Asterix running, this kludge isnt going to be terribly cost effective. The rate for the additional electricity (38-43 cents per KWH) will negate the advantages.

The other problems with sourcing VOIP from a provider in Alaska is that a) all high speed connections are metered and b) no VOIP carriers offer TN's in the 907 NPA, and being in a small rate center the odds of having a local TN are even less.

Other then costs and time involved in getting a tech class ham license, can someone estimate what the costs and legalities involved in setting up a mobile radio system with a (pseudo-encrypted) PSTN gateway? Then I could 'legally' do what these devices do. The terrain is pretty open and flat and I have a barn that I could mount my equipment on which is above the treeline. At least if i'm going to burn additional dead dinosaurs I can have a higher 'gee-whiz' factor.

Or should I just say forget this idea and go back to Iridium?

Thanks >> I'm living in a rural Alaskan town and traditional cell service is

> spotty to none, even with an old bag phone and roof antenna so I was >> thinking that this could be an interesting approach to local mobile >> phone service. > I highly doubt that it is legal in the U.S. However, modifying your > 802.11 gear and using say a PalmOS type machine with an 802.11 card > you could probably cobble together a VoIP solution that has a linear > range of 11 miles or so, depending on what type and pattern of > radiator you decide to use. > From what I've read about these units they operate in the amateur > radio band so I take sort of strong offense to that.
Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

by. They had a meeting at the Carlyle Hotel in New York City. The Carlyle Hotel is owned by the Kennedy family; that's the hotel Kennedy spent the night at, two nights ago; [it] belongs to his family. A philanthropic society headed by a white man named Stephen Currier called all the top civil-rights leaders together at the Carlyle Hotel. And he told them that, "By you all fighting each other, you are destroying the civil-rights movement. And since you're fighting over money from white liberals, let us set up what is known as the Council for United Civil Rights Leadership. Let's form this council, and all the civil-rights organizations will belong to it, and we'll use it for fund-raising purposes." Let me show you how tricky the white man is. And as soon as they got it formed, they elected Whitney Young as the chairman, and who [do] you think became the co-chairman? Stephen Currier, the white man, a millionaire. Powell was talking about it down at the Cobo [Hall] today. This is what he was talking about. Powell knows it happened. Randolph knows it happened. Wilkins knows it happened. King knows it happened. Everyone of that so-called Big Six -- they know what happened.

Once they formed it, with the white man over it, he promised them and gave them $800,000 to spl

Reply to
Dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.