Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?

First poster:

>>>> I'm living in a rural Alaskan town and traditional cell service is >>>> spotty to none, even with an old bag phone and roof antenna so I was >>>> thinking that this could be an interesting approach to local mobile >>>> phone service. > Sorry, if it uses frequencies illegal for use in the US, its use is > illegal. Indiscriminate use of the "230-450MHz" band described for > that device elsewhere: >
formatting link
could trash a lot of navigation devices. How well received would you > be if you trashed a nav beacon, in AK where bush pilots are a > necesssity? > I would be *very* specific with anyone selling such a device that you > want to know what frequencies *specifically* are used, and have them > show you in the FCC regs how they are exempt. Ask them for the 'FCC ID' > number for the equipment. Then, check with the FCC field office, or > confirm at the FCC website: >
formatting link

An old bag-type AMPS phone (analog cellular) is legal for another few years. These have a power of 5 Watts, IIRC, and a nominal range of about 25 or 30 miles. You can get upgraded antennae for them from Wilson (Sorry, no URL, and there are two companies named Wilson: you can check any truck stop).

The old mobile non-cellular phones are car-mount only, and are grandfathered in, but are being phased out.

Reply to
Marcus Didius Falco
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.