Re: Wider-range cordless phones? [Telecom]

> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC) > From: "Adam H. Kerman" > To: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.telecom-digest.org. > Subject: Re: Wider-range cordless phones? [Telecom] > Message-ID: > > Rich Greenberg wrote: > > >Before I married, I always had a phone in the primary bathroom, within > >reach of the throne. Only used occasionally, but glad to have it then. > >Currently, my wife has asked me not to install one there. > > Your wife doesn't understand. When you're in the bathroom, somehow, > the people who are difficult to get hold of who won't leave complete > messages in voice mail or email just know that's when to call with > important information that you need that you aren't in position to act > on nor take notes. If you have a phone in there with you, it defeats them. > > You want the phone in there so it never rings when you use the terlet.

No, you really DO want one in there, for several very good safety reasons.

For openers, it's a Bolt Hole or Safe Room - what other room in the house universally locks the door(s) from the inside? Yes, the doors are usually tissue-paper thin, but it still slows down a Domestic Violence situation long enough for you to yell "I have the police dispatcher on the phone right now!" Amazing how those few words can turn the other party reasonable and compliant...

Works the same way if you suspect a "Hot Prowl" burglar in the house. Gather up the kids in the bathroom, leave the lights off, lock the door, and very quietly call for help. Or you are huddled in the bathroom for a Tornado Warning, calling your spouse or parents before you curl up in the bathtub holding a mattress over yourself.

(That reminds me - if you have a storm cellar, you might want an extension in there too. Same reasoning.)

And the odds are actually rather high that when you have heart troubles or other medical issues at home, you'll be in the Throne Room. People often half wake up groggy at 5 AM and make their way in there, then realize that what woke them up wasn't a full bladder, it was chest pains - and they are getting worse FAST...

You want a hardwired phone in there you can grab and punch 9-1-1, preferably before passing out. They always investigate an open-line

911 call, and they move a lot faster if all the dispatcher hears is moaning.

And if the house has a central station burglar alarm system, you want a Medical - Fire - Police Panic Button, too. Next to the phone, in every bathroom. If you are building or remodeling, at least put in a conduit drop and a mud ring in the wall for placing a phone and/or panic button. If the next owner chooses not to have one, they can always blank it off.

Oh, and a phone with Caller ID, so you can ignore the Telemarketers Who Can't Take NO! For An Answer (and your crazy Aunt Freda) and let them talk to the answering machine.

-->--

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative text/plain (text body -- kept) text/html

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Bruce Bergman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.