Re: May 1966 - Customers Angry at Switch to Message Units From Toll

I don't know how the phone company recorded charges back then.

> According to the Eng & Sci history, AMA tapes included message unit > calls, so detailed records were available even if not shown on the > customer's bill. But message units could also be easily recorded on > the same meters used to track local calls, just incrementing the > counter as needed per call. AMA was developed with No 5 crossbar in > 1948 so it was theorectically available for NY.

The counters (one for each phone line) simply clicked off as needed. I have no idea how they got the feedback to "know" whether to just click once for a local, untimed, call -- or whether to click twice on start, once every three minutes (or some other arrangement ...) depending on distance.

NY Tel had a camera that literally was pushed against a (dozen at a time?) counters and the numbers were then processed by someone or another and added to the bill.

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.