Re: Information Wanted on GrandCentral.com

John Mayson had written:

Has anyone tried the service offered by Grand Central? >

formatting link

They offer a free telephone number that'll try all of your phone > numbers until it reaches you. I personally have no use for this > service, but am curious nonetheless if anyone has heard anything good > or bad. I'd be hesitant to give out my phone numbers.

I've been using it for a few months. I use it to provide an alias to my cell phone number. Occasionally I've had difficulty with the feature that rings you up, announces the caller's name, and gives you the option to take the call. I'm not sure whether this is because of delays on the cell phone, or because I'm just not listening closely.

The other complaint I have is that the web site requires Flash. It really does require Flash; that's what it's using to play the voice mails. I suppose that's better than requiring something even more proprietary such as Windows Media Player. But the login interface should not also require Flash. That's just bad user interface design. It also makes it unusable on my Linux boxes where I have refused to install Flash.

Aside from those points, it seems to work well. You can give you your number to whomever you want, so I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

Mark Roberts - Oakland, CA - NO HTML MAIL Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied. That includes quoting the article in its entirety.

Reply to
Mark Roberts
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.