Re: What is Area Code 113?

Justa Lurker had written:

Fred Atk>> I seem to remember that years ago, 113 was the number for directory >> assistance down in Florida. But that doesn't give a clue as to why >> it showed up on your caller ID. > Must've been GTE territory (well, back then, it was the General System). > In Erie PA [GTE before becoming Bell Atlantic and now Verizon of > course] during the 1960s (possibly earlier than that), information > was also 113 ... repair was 114 ... the fire department was 1171 > ... and you dialed 112 before the area code and number when placing > a DDD [direct-distance dialing] long distance call. I want to say > that the test board was 116 but it's been a long time. Not sure if > there was a speed-dial code (if you will) for the business office.

In Columbia, Mo., GTE/General territory since the late 1950s, the codes were:

112 for Long Distance access 113 for directory information 114 for repair service 115 for mobile operator 118 for time and temperature 119 for party-line ringback 112 was replaced with "1" around 1971. However, "0" access (assisted long distance) was not available until 1986. 118 was replaced with 655 in the mid-1970s. 655 in turn was replaced by 449-0655 (that's GIbson 9-0655) around 1986.
For some reason, I think a lot of this went away when the GTD EAX > replaced the old step-by-step equipment sometime in the late 60s or > early 70s (?).

Columbia had *both* operating in parallel from 1971 to 1986 (in different switching offices), when GTE brought in some Nortel switches (would they have been DMS-100s by then?) and swept the old mess out. No more progress tone just to call across town!

Mark Roberts | "A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity,Oakland, Cal.| but rather by touching both at once." NO HTML MAIL | -- Blaise Pascal Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.

Reply to
Mark Roberts
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.